We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows cannot find ms config

bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

trying to run Msconfig but keep getting message Windows cannot find ms config,not had this problem before also I cannot open search to try find the config file,also having problems opening chrome browser I have to right click > and then click browse internet, my pc only runs in safe mode I think I have a virus but have no idea were to begin to can any one help please , os xp pro.

• Tags:
  • pc
Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Download the Kaspersky Rescue Disc 10, burn it to CD or DVD then boot your comp from it follow the on-screen prompts.

> http://support.kaspersky.com/4162

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

thank you SillBill will try then post results

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Make sure you burn the ISO Disc Image.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

One more point, you may have to set the boot option to Boot from CD, this is usually done via F12 while the comp is starting up.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Have you run your anti-virus programs when you are in Safe Mode? and what program do you have?

What were you hoping to do in msconfig? The path to the MsConfig.exe file in Windows XP is: %System%\Windows\PCHealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe (you can type or copy that into the run box) Or you can look in location in C:\Windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries\msconfig.exe

Have there been any error messages or anything that makes you think you have some sort of virus? (I'm looking for clues that point to a virus or problem with XP)

What happens when you try to boot normally?

Have you run sfc /scannow (you put that in the run box, note there is a space between sfc and /) that will check and replace system files, you may be asked to insert your xp cd.

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

sorry for the delay ,, crashed grrr never happened before>run avg free>spy bot s& d > c/cleaner yes have had error messages, tried to run sfc /scannow to no avail, when i try to boot normally gives me the option s f1 or f12, was hoping to stop pc suit from opening in start up,

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

msconfig is what you have to type into Run.No gaps like ms config.

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

ty jock i know m8 was gapped for post ty

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If it gives you the option of F1 or F12 it is probably not booting from the hard drive or Dvd Drive.

Check the Bios to make sure either hard drive or DVD drive are set to boot first.

Like this post
bobbybluenose

Likes # 0

have done jock booting from H/D im stumped ,looking for floppy but all floppy are off in bios

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement