We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV as monitor - Dell Inspiron 620

wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi. Would appreciate any help in setting up my Dell Inspiron 620 so that I can occasionally use my LG TV as a monitor. Plugged in an HDMI cable - TV says No Signal. Have searched Control Panel on the Dell to see how to set up so it can recognise the TV as another monitor, but can't see how to do it. Tried searching for a new device - that doesn't work. Have gone into all Settings, including NVidia Control Panel. There is somewhere there to set up multiple displays, but the TV doesn't show as an option.

I have connected my daughter's Acer laptop via the HDMI cable, and everything automatically appeared on my TV, so I know it is not the cable that is the problem. Any help gratefully received.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Well, partial success. I have gone into the BIOS and set-up for multiple monitors. Plugged in the HDMI and turned back on the the TV appeared as the monitor. However, it wants me to find the manufacturer's driver. Will investigate this. In the meantime I can get a picture (mouse very sluggish but managed to click on what I needed to) but the resolution for the TV is not available, so have to settle for most of the screen and can just about manoeuvre around. However, no audio! So more investigation needed. Next time will try with the computer speakers unattached and see if that helps. But it's a start.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm on windows 8 but it should be similar on Vista and 7. For sound you need to right click the sound icon in the notification area and select playback devices. In the window that opens do you see the TV listed? Also helps to right click in a blank area and tick both boxes, Show disabled devices and Show disconnected devices.

Select the TV and set as default. You can also right click it to set to default. Click apply, OK. See if you get sound.

If you can't control the resolution via the Nvidia control, try right clicking the desktop, select personalise, you should have a Disply link to the left, click on that. You can change size of all items there or click adjust resolution link. If you've only got the TV connected that should show up as 1. If you have the monition and TV connected then the TV should be 2. You should have two tabs there to identify and detect if needed. Try tweaking the resolution there.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm on windows 8 but it should be similar on Vista and 7. For sound you need to right click the sound icon in the notification area and select playback devices. In the window that opens do you see the TV listed? Also helps to right click in a blank area and tick both boxes, Show disabled devices and Show disconnected devices.

Select the TV and set as default. You can also right click it to set to default. Click apply, OK. See if you get sound.

If you can't control the resolution via the Nvidia control, try right clicking the desktop, select personalise, you should have a Disply link to the left, click on that. You can change size of all items there or click adjust resolution link. If you have the monition and TV connected then the TV should be 2. You should have two tabs there to identify and detect if needed. Try tweaking the resolution there.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Unplugging the PC speakers will have no effect so I would not bother. Can you not play with the setting in the Nvidia control panel? Or have you tried that.

You should be getting audio as that will come via the HDMI. Puzzled by the Driver request as well.

Your problems must be a Dell PC thing as I have had no bother using a TV as a second/third monitor.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry for double post, was editing and pressed something for it to post.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Thanks both for your help. Will try again tomorrow and see again what it wants me to find/update from the manufacturer. Didn't try the NVidia panel for sound as didn't think of it when I was plugged in to the TV! My mouse is wireless but keyboard isn't so it's a bit of an exercise to go to and fro! Will try NVidia Control Panel tomorrow and will also try adjusting the setting on the actual TV to see if the picture can fit (tried all 3 offered resolutions). Will update when done!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK