We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

TV as monitor - Dell Inspiron 620

wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi. Would appreciate any help in setting up my Dell Inspiron 620 so that I can occasionally use my LG TV as a monitor. Plugged in an HDMI cable - TV says No Signal. Have searched Control Panel on the Dell to see how to set up so it can recognise the TV as another monitor, but can't see how to do it. Tried searching for a new device - that doesn't work. Have gone into all Settings, including NVidia Control Panel. There is somewhere there to set up multiple displays, but the TV doesn't show as an option.

I have connected my daughter's Acer laptop via the HDMI cable, and everything automatically appeared on my TV, so I know it is not the cable that is the problem. Any help gratefully received.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Fn+F8 from here

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

It sounds as if you cannot have 2 monitors connected at the same time, can't you just unplug your present monitor ON THE COMPUTER and try the HDMI connection to the TV as the only monitor?

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Well, I've now unplugged the monitor and plugged the TV in via HDMI but still no signal. Looks like I'll have to email Dell and see if they'll respond (I suspect they'll tell me to phone up and pay £10 to get the info!).

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Did you unplug the monitor at the computer or did you leave the VGA connection still plugged in?

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Hi I unplugged at the computer - not something I would want to do too often as | have to balance the computer whilst unscrewing the screws!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Don't know if this helps but in the set-up guide it shows, Note: Your computer supports the Intel multiple monitor feature (disabled by default). This feature allows you to connect your computer to more than one monitor simultaneously. To enable this feature, enter the setup(BIOS) utility and set the Intel Multiple Monitor Feature to Auto in the advanced graphics configuration section. page 6. As I've said I don't know if it will be helpful.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Whoever designed VGA plugs ought to be shot at dawn and manufacturers who design Monitors and TV Sets with VGA sockets in the most awkward places should face the same firing squad!.

Like this post
wildhouse

Likes # 0

Thanks, RDave13. Will investigate going into the BIOS and seeing if this works.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

rdave13

Good find and more to the point if this is the reason that the proble has arisen then you have got to ask what the hell were Dell thinking about? Burying this sort of thing in the BIOS where most people would not go anywhere near.

Sent from my iPhone.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Well said, Chronos the 2nd!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite