We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

SSD For OS and HDD for Data

antony.dandrea

Likes # 0

I was thinking about installign just the OS and nothing else on an SSD drive and everything else and files on HDD.

Is this worth it?

My second question is that I am worried how long an SSD will last before my OS on it will be destroyed?

Thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Around 20 years.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Sorry just checked mine and it is about 10 years. But that will also depend on how you use it.Unless you plan on constantly moving large amounts of media, your drive shouldn't begin slowing down, until after the life of your computer is over (the other components will age too).

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

One disadvantage of putting OS on SSD is that it can get cluttered quite quickly - lots of articles in PCA hard copy about this. Possible to overcome but it looks as though one must be aware of the problem. Apart from that the advantages are great. If and when I get a new toy I will get an SSD for the OS.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

OS on SSD

to avoid clutter you need to set the Documents folder for the HDD and always select custom install when installing programs to stop them from installing to the SSD

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If you get a 128GB as a minimum size it will happily take your OS and programs with around 60 + GB to spare.

As Fruit Bat says move the My documents folder I also move the Music and Pictures and video as well. I all have a separate HDD for my Steam/Games folders.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I had always believed that (if you have the space) programs should also go on the SSD to significantly improve load times.

Like this post
antony.dandrea

Likes # 0

About ransfering large amounts of data or more specifically "writing".

IF I had for example pictures on my HDD and I used Windows Picture Viewer to view them, am I correct in saying that the pictures wouldn't be written onto the SSD, but onto the RAM where the Picture Viewr would also be? Same question for videos and music. And so viewing media written on HDD wouldn't affect the number of writes left?

Similarly, if I was watching a Youtube video from a browser, this would be downloaded to RAM?

Furthermore, I am worried about running programs from SSD and how they use up all the writes?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Install all yor programs and data on the HDD

as you said when running a program or browser etc. its run in memory if you have enough or out of the pagefile on the hard drive, again make sure any pagefile settings are set to the HDD not the SSD.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good