We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Missing ISO / USB media option for Win8 download on XP machine

Batch

Likes # 0

This morning I paid my £25 to Microsoft and downloaded Win8 on my Acer netbook (currently running XP Home).

I was expecting it to give me 3 options:

• Install now

• Install by creating media

• Install later from desktop

But it only gave me the 1st and 3rd of the above. No way of creating media!

Having scouted around I see that on various forums bods are saying that the 2nd option is not made available on XP machines (although the Microsoft help desk bods seem blissfully unaware of this).

So, has anyone on here downloaded on an XP machine AND been given the media create option?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

I upgraded an XP PC a few weeks ago with the MS £25 offer and wasn't offered the option to create my own installation DVD either.

If you'd like to create your own DVD then here's where you'll find easy step-by-step instructions. I did it myself and can confirm that it does work.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Secret-Squirrel,

Did your PC have a DVD burner? As that was the other thing that crossed my mind as my nettie doesn't have one and I wondered if the Win 8 download detected the absence of a burner and so skipped the media creation option.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Did your PC have a DVD burner?"

Yes, the PC was a regular desktop computer with an optical drive.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ Batch

Can you plug an external DVD Burner into your netbook?

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

SillBilll,

Of course I could, but that's not the issue (especially following what Secret-Squirrel has confirmed).

I'm aware of various image burning tools, I'll probably just copy the folders on to another PC (with an onboard burner)and try that route.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

Although I've created (but not tested) DVDs using ImgBurn and ESDtoISO (see http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12559-cant-find-option-burn-iso-disk.html) I'd still be interested if anyone can give an affirmative answer to my original question:-

So, has anyone on here downloaded Win8 Upgrade on an XP machine AND been given the media create option?

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Seems to be a way to get you to pay more (almost double) for a DVD MS">http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4198635/wifi-through-thick-stone-walls/#ixzz2H5hDhnUj">MS Website here.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Sorry - completely the wrong link - on the MS site, gives the option for a DVD upgrade for $69!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you tried running the upgrade advisor again, through 8, to see if you now get the option to create media?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should have added that there's a link in your email receipt that you can run the advisor from there as it will be verified that you've bought the licence.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK