We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

1TB Hard Drive with Windows XP Home 32 bit install question

Audio~~Chip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello If I was to replace my failed HDD which I have Windows XP Home 32 bit on disk and clean install on to a 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA III is there any compatibitly issues with a 1TB HDD install on XP Home please

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 1

I might be wrong but I think any question of compatibility would be with you computer and not the OS.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 1

I'm not sure how much of the drive it will see. I think you'll need SP3 slipstreamed on the XP disc to see all the drive. Check with Godoogle.

Like this post  
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thanks SillBill & rdave13 yes the XP Home is XP Home SP3 and the Motherboard is a ASRock 4 Core Dual-SATA II v1.02 motherboard. I know the SATA III will be backwards compatible to SATA II

So with having the XP SP3 Disk (Original) do you think this will configure ok or should I go for SATA II 1TB HDD ?

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

According to Google Search 1TB will be seen in XP SP3 as 127GB and has to be formatted under Disk Managment in XP. I will stick to a 500GB HDD to be safe.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thank you both for the pointers so quick oh and forgot. Happy New Year to you and all at the PCA Forum

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This should answer your question, Limited to 2 terabyte.

Like this post
Audio~~Chip

Likes # 0

Thank You rdave13 interesting informative article. Thank you for calling back

Cheers Steven

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...