We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cant crop photos on my new Sony Vaio laptop

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I did have a windows Vista laptop that had a fantastic default programme that enabled me to crop and alter the colour/lightness/darkness and all sorts of things on a photo, on this Vaio laptop it opens the photo but there is no way to crop a photo (which I do alot for ebay) I am really disappointed after it was so simple with the Vista laptop, I have tried to open a photo in Paint.net programme but I cant figure out how to crop a photo in there, what can I do? is there a different default programme that will let me "fix" a photo like the Vista laptop did? (I am really disappointed with this Vaio laptop as its IMPOSSIBLE (for me) to figure out what to do, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What op sys do you have on your new Sony Vaio laptop? There will be a program on it or one to download for free from microsoft. Have you got Windows 7 or Windows 8?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Oh, I see you are on W7 http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/28/windows-7-help/4198279/cant-crop-photo-with-windows-7/ and should now be sorted with Lazarus The 2nd's response.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think 3 Threads on same problem is a bit excessive ;)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It doesn't get much simpler than this:

This is for the free program Irfanview 4 http://www.irfanview.com/

During Install - Remember to Untick also 'include Chrome web browser'

Edit | create custom crop selection | (Actual ratio from image) click on 'Save and apply to image' | use mouse cursor to drag the selection border lines (double headed arrow on lines) up or down, and left or right to cover the area you want to keep inside your 'box' | Edit menu, 'Crop Selection' (or hold down Crtl and press Y)

now go to, File | Save As and Save the result as (name of file here)cropped.jpg ((or whatever file name you want).jpg - or whatever file extension you want). You can now close your original picture. You will now have two pictures saved on your harddrive, the original and a new one that is cropped.

Now you can open your newly saved cropped picture in whatever program you want and do whatever you want with it :)

I shall put the above on all four of your threads to ensure you get to read it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...