We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cant crop photos on my new Sony Vaio laptop

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I did have a windows Vista laptop that had a fantastic default programme that enabled me to crop and alter the colour/lightness/darkness and all sorts of things on a photo, on this Vaio laptop it opens the photo but there is no way to crop a photo (which I do alot for ebay) I am really disappointed after it was so simple with the Vista laptop, I have tried to open a photo in Paint.net programme but I cant figure out how to crop a photo in there, what can I do? is there a different default programme that will let me "fix" a photo like the Vista laptop did? (I am really disappointed with this Vaio laptop as its IMPOSSIBLE (for me) to figure out what to do, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Learning Windows 7: Manage Photos with Live Photo Gallery Howto Geek.com

"If you’re moving from Vista to Windows 7, you might be wondering what happened to Windows Photo Gallery, or in XP you might have used another photo manager. Today we take a look at using Windows Live Photo Gallery from the Windows Live Essentials suite"

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Hi Rdave, back again, (yes it was very late in NL last night after HOURS and HOURS around and around with this horrible computer rigmarole, trouble is the explanations look easy but they NEVER ARE!! you say open control panel and search for Windows Photo Gallery? and then "still in control panel..., make it the default under default programmes? - but how the hell do I do that, when I put windows photo gallery in the search box from control panel I get a long long long list of all the options from windows in a seperate window, but there is NOWHERE to just make windows photo gallery the default programme!! Oh, this is an UTTER NIGHTMARE!!! I really wish I had my old Vista laptop now!! Laptopdunce

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

to Lotvic, I have downloaded all of the Windows live essentials BUT nowhere can I find Windows Photo gallery, in "all programs" in the start menu?? all I can find there are : windows anytime upgrade, dvd maker, fix and scan, live mail, live msgr, media centre, media player and windows update - so where is the Windows Photo Gallery - Oh, this is a NIGHTMARE! All I want is a simple way to crop photos for ebay etc., but this new windows 7 and the lack of the old "fix" photo viewer is HORRIBLE with this new windows 7 laptop, its wasting so much time! Thanks LAPTOPDUNCE - or whcih SIMPLE programme can I use for simply cropping photos without all this RIGAMAROLE??

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"that "paint" programme is TERRIBLY difficult, I can get the rectangular cursor to crop the photo I have imported but then what do I do?? there is no explanation of how to only keep the cropped part of the photo!! its TERRIBLE!!"

Click Paint's rectangular "Select" button top-left, drag a box around the area you want to crop, then click the "Crop" button. To quickly update the file with your changes, click the tiny Save button (which looks like an old-fashioned floppy disk) found in the extreme top left-hand corner. This should take you all of five seconds or so.

If you need them, additional save options can be found by clicking the blue rectangular button underneath the Save button.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Use Picassa !!!!!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I'm beginning to regret mentioning Photo Gallery. Please note that when you click on All Programs it will be near the top called Photo Gallery not Windows Photo Gallery.

There is another way to get to edit your photos which should work. Open your Pictures library. Choose a photo you want to edit, double click on it and it should open in Photo Gallery. This will not immediately look like what you want and with all of your photos. Top left you should see Edit, Organize or Share, click on that then you will get another window open with tabs along the top, choose the edit one, double click on your photo again and you should see something akin to your old photo editing. This may sound long winded but is an alternative way. If you find this does not work then come back. Finally don't rush and be patient.

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Secret Squirrel, thanks for that, I have kinda found that, but one thing that worries me is that it doesnt seem to save the original photo I have cropped, and also if I am trying to crop a large size photo (1.5mb) it shows on a gigantic screen that I have to scroll up and down with those cursoers at the side and bottom, BUT when I am trying to open that cropping cursor it wont allow me to go lower into the photo to make a longer rectangle or whatever shape I am trying to crop the picture to. I appreciate all this help but you know, its still a NIGHTMARE for a computer dunce to try and learn all this when it was SO SIMPLE with my vista laptop, none of this rigmarole., for the "average" user I really think this new windows STINKS!! its definitely NOT a vooruitgang for me thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

For Gawd's sake download Irfanview and give it a try!!!!

> http://www.irfanview.com/

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Actually W7 once you get used to it is a better system than Vista. It is not really that much different. No need to shout about it.

Have you read my 2.05 pm post?

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Oh this is HORRIBLE!!!! how do I actually SAVE the photo I have cropped?? this is an UTTER NIGHTMARE!!! there is no icon ANYWHERE that tells me "save" "save as" and any option where I can add a little text like "ebay photo - cropped 1" so I can tell it is one I have altered as opposed to the original (which was kept in the folder in my photos when I was using my old vista laptop) - Oh, the HOURS AND DAYS I WASTED ON THIS CRAP!! I wish I had never bought this horrible laptop!! Give me VISTA ANYDAY!! totally pissed off windows 7 user LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 review: best ever iPhone is very good... but no longer the best phone you can buy

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple and Samsung, Google and Microsoft's schoolyard spats make them all look stupid

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room ()......