We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cant crop photos on my new Sony Vaio laptop

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I did have a windows Vista laptop that had a fantastic default programme that enabled me to crop and alter the colour/lightness/darkness and all sorts of things on a photo, on this Vaio laptop it opens the photo but there is no way to crop a photo (which I do alot for ebay) I am really disappointed after it was so simple with the Vista laptop, I have tried to open a photo in Paint.net programme but I cant figure out how to crop a photo in there, what can I do? is there a different default programme that will let me "fix" a photo like the Vista laptop did? (I am really disappointed with this Vaio laptop as its IMPOSSIBLE (for me) to figure out what to do, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Lotvic - I will also download this programme infiranview, as it does seem to be less complicated that this windows 7 one, will get back on this tomorrow as its more hours and time used today for this "simple (???)" thing, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Laptopdunce - and yet you still have not tried the simplest and easiest to use cropping program, Irfanview?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

It's IRFANVIEW > http://www.irfanview.com/

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

laptopdunce, re your post Today at 3:29PM and saving a fresh copy of cropped image and retaining the original.

If it is easier for you, you could make a copy of the picture - in My Pictures, rightclick and choose 'copy' then click on a blank part in the folder, rightclick and choose 'paste' (you can then rightclick on the copy and choose 'rename' as well if you want) then open the copy in Photo gallery and crop it and save it.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ lotvic

I deliberately tested cropping a pic in Irfanview and providing the cropped version is renamed in Save as... the original pic is left untouched.

How much more simple can it get?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

edit: in My Pictures, rightclick and choose 'copy..' obviously I mean 'rightclick on a single picture file that you want to crop and choose 'copy..'

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

SillBill, something is only simple once you have learnt how to do it.

(I well remember my red face back when it was dial-up and new, many, many moons ago, I discovered (was told and shown how) that I didn't need to be connected to the internet to compose an email in my pc's email client - I still have my 'ID 10T guide that was painstakingly adherred to for quite a while until I'd learnt it)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Going back to laptopdunce's 3.29 pm. He appears to have cropped it as wanted but wants the original still. I pointed out that he has missed the "Make a copy" icon on the same ribbon and 4 to the left of crop. This opens a save box for the copy of the original (providing you do it before cropping). You can name it, etc.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Aye, it's all about knowing which buttons to press, menu items to click on.. ;)

Like this post
tarbyme

Likes # 0

Not sure what you mean with the rectanglar cursor but to crop here are easy steps. Click on past top right hand corner menue will drop down. Click on Paste from now go to the picture you want double click on it now click open. This will put the picture in Paint. Now on top menue bar click crop. Drag the cursor down to the picture, right click and hold down lines in shape of a square will appear crop to what you want. now back to top menue and click crop this will crop the picture Job Done

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers