We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cant crop photos on my new Sony Vaio laptop

laptopdunce

Likes # 0

I did have a windows Vista laptop that had a fantastic default programme that enabled me to crop and alter the colour/lightness/darkness and all sorts of things on a photo, on this Vaio laptop it opens the photo but there is no way to crop a photo (which I do alot for ebay) I am really disappointed after it was so simple with the Vista laptop, I have tried to open a photo in Paint.net programme but I cant figure out how to crop a photo in there, what can I do? is there a different default programme that will let me "fix" a photo like the Vista laptop did? (I am really disappointed with this Vaio laptop as its IMPOSSIBLE (for me) to figure out what to do, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Its not the laptop's fault I GIVE UP !!!!

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Woolwell, Yes, I have read your 2.05pm message, I tried clicking twice on a photo in "my photos" (I only have 1 folder of 11 photos on this new laptop as yet) and when I do double click on a photo it brigs up the photo in "photo gallery" with the edit, organize or share tabs on the top, I then click on edit and it opens the window for the photo gallery option with my photo in the middle, I click on the edit tab at the top and then click on crop, then a 9 square/rectangle appears over the middle of the photo and I can alter the sides and bottom and top of the frame just like in normal crop, then I click again on the "crop" symbol at the top of the toolbar(?) and it shows the photo in the cropped form, all fine so far BUT there is no symbol anywhere to save this cropped photo and then (only by a process of elimination) I clicked on the close file big red cross at right side of the top toolbar (as there is no "save as" "save" icon anywhere like on a normal programme, then it comes up with a window saying "your changes were automatically saved) and in the photos in "my photos" it DOES show the cropped picture - BUT the orginal has disappeared, in the old Vista version I always had the option to add my own text to the cropped photo (like: ebay cropped 1) so I had the original photo still in the folder AND the easily recognizable cropped one which I made a text for so that I can come to that one very easily if I am using it for an ebay sale upload for instance, is there no option of keeping the original photo I have cropped and also putting a text on the photo so I can see which one it is when it is in a folder of similar looking photos?? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"but one thing that worries me is that it (PAINT) doesnt seem to save the original photo I have cropped"

You need to click Paint's little "Save" button. I did explain that earlier on the other thread you've started on this subject so have a look there for full instructions.

"and also if I am trying to crop a large size photo (1.5mb) it shows on a gigantic screen"

No problem there either - you just need to click the "View" tab at the top then click the "Zoom Out" button a few times. When you've got the view to your liking, click the "Home" tab to take you back to the crop options.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

It doesn't get much simpler than this:

This is for the free program Irfanview 4 http://www.irfanview.com/

During Install - Remember to 'Untick also include Chrome web browser'

Edit | create custom crop selection | (Actual ratio from image) click on 'Save and apply to image' | use mouse cursor to drag the selection border lines (double headed arrow on lines) up or down, and left or right to cover the area you want to keep inside your 'box' | Edit menu, 'Crop Selection' (or hold down Crtl and press Y)

now go to, File | Save As and Save the result as (name of file here)cropped.jpg ((or whatever file name you want).jpg - or whatever file extension you want). You can now close your original picture. You will now have two pictures saved on your harddrive, the original and a new one that is cropped.

Now you can open your newly saved cropped picture in whatever program you want and do whatever you want with it :)

I shall put the above on all four of your threads to ensure you get to read it.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ lotvic

I already posted on the EASIEST thread that I will not be replying to any of these threads. if this aint a wind-up it sure looks like one!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Go for irfanview.

You missed the make a copy button in Photo Gallery.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

SillBill, it's not a wind-up, laptopdunce has just got in a twist and frustrated panic having to adjust to change to new 'improved' programs and op sys W7. Been in that situation frequently myself where the familiar buttons are seemingly vanished.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ lotvic

Oh, OK, I apogise, but maybe he can tone town the hysterical use of u/c wailing, lol!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

SillBill, try to see past that, we all need to vent our frustration now and then :) but would be easier if it was all on one thread ;)

Like this post
laptopdunce

Likes # 0

Sillbill - As I said I do appreciate all the help given here but cant you see that this is the whole point of my argument, in Vista I had a FANTASTIC simple intuitive "fix" program that automatically opened as soon as you view a photo, I NEVER had to post any questions about how to use THAT terrific programme BUT this new Windows 7 and Windows Essentials programme is VERY VERY complicated - look at all the different replies I am getting for EVERY SINGLE PROCEDURE of this horrible programme, as I said this is defnintire NOT a vooruitgang (advantage/improvement) for me who only wants to do simple crop and maybe lighten photos, I know its as frustrating for you as it surely is for me!! lets face it my nickname says it all!! Laptopdunce

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer