We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Audio working but still exclamation mark

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've just installed XP and installed all the drivers. The Realtek audio driver seemed to install fine - 'proven' by the fact that audio works - but in Device Manager, there's still yellow exclamation mark against 'other devices', 'audio device on high definition bus' and 'unknown device'. When I boot, the 'found new hardware' wizard appears. It's a minor annoyance - but I'd still appreciate any thoughts on how to fix it. My initial thought is that it may be something to do with the Intel chipset drivers not having loaded properly, but I don't want to miss with them if I don't have to.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you may need the AMD Catalyst Software Suite which includes the AMD HDMI Audio Driver. Download from AMD AMD Download. If the link doesn't work too well then go to AMD Downloads and select the various options eg Desktop graphics, Radeon HD series, Radeom HD 6xxx series, Windows XP.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks Woolwell. That's the driver I've installed... :-( The mystery deepens.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

So... Further investigation found me here. I note that there is a recent release (2.70) of the Realtek driver (the one I've installed looks like it dates from 2010). I also note that there is a driver specifically called 'ATI HDMI Audio Device'. I'm intrigued, because other research I've done tells me that, if the Realtek HD audio driver were 'properly' installed, when I go to control panel/sounds and audio devices/audio, there should be an alternative default device listed. So, my quandary is, do I a) install the new driver, even though it's not strictly the one for my mobo (Realtek point out that there's a is a generic driver), b) install the ATI HDMI Audio Device driver, or c) leave well alone before I break something...?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...