We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Audio working but still exclamation mark

Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I've just installed XP and installed all the drivers. The Realtek audio driver seemed to install fine - 'proven' by the fact that audio works - but in Device Manager, there's still yellow exclamation mark against 'other devices', 'audio device on high definition bus' and 'unknown device'. When I boot, the 'found new hardware' wizard appears. It's a minor annoyance - but I'd still appreciate any thoughts on how to fix it. My initial thought is that it may be something to do with the Intel chipset drivers not having loaded properly, but I don't want to miss with them if I don't have to.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Unashamed bump (as it was about to drop off the first page...)

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

It got that far in 3 hours?!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Onboard sound or sound card?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is this toms hardware relevant?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks guys. It's onboard sound. Woolwell: yes, I think that thread is adjacent to my problem - I suspect reinstalling the mobo/chipset drivers may be appropriate, although why they wouldn't have 'taken' in the first place, I have no idea.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Hmmm... Reinstalling the mobo/chipset drivers didn't help. I'm wondering (this being a secondhand PC) if there's some random audio device in there that I'm not aware of... Anyone have further thoughts?

Like this post

Likes # 0

It's been suggested to me that the issue is to do with HDMI audio on my Radeon 6870. I'm thinking of installing the driver here. Anyone see any problems with that? Or have any suggestions? (Other than create a restore point before doing it...) I'm running XP Pro 32-bit.

Like this post

Likes # 0

It sounds as the HD audio is missing so that you'd get no sound using a HDMI cable to monitor even if set up correctly, unless the Realtek is also HD. I would be inclined to go to the AMD site for drivers plus there are some helpful troubleshooting tips if needed.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Wow - are we all anonymous now?

It's interesting that Device Manager doesn't show any working audio device - just the two devices with yellow exclamation marks.

Short of reinstalling - again - the Realtek driver, I have no way of knowing whether it's the HD version or not. The version I installed is the version recommended for my mobo, and runs as asussetup.exe. I guess I could try a different version of the Realtek driver, although that makes me slightly nervous as I have a working one.

I have no need for HDMI sound. I just want to solve this (very) minor annoyance.

I looked at the AMD site, but there's no mention of a specific audio driver for the Radeon 6870. I'd rather use an 'AMD-approved' one, but the one I mentioned is the only one I can find.

Hmmm...

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

PCA seems to be anonymising random users!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Windows 10 is even more like Mac OS X, and not just because it's another OS Ten