We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Toshiba Qosmio F10 RAM Upgrade

BigDH79

Likes # 0

Hi,

I'm upgrading my old Tosh Qosmio F10 to 2GB (Its max capacity!)RAM. I bought 2x 1GB KOMPUTERBAY PC2700 SODIMMs from Amazon. With the 2 new modules in, thecomputer fails to boot. With either 1 of the 2 new modules in alone, the compuetr boots to windows and crashes. With the original 512MB Module in place and either of the 2 new modules in slot 2, the compuer operates correctly and windows recognises 1.5GB RAM. It runs faster than before in this state.

In my head: I have proven compatibility and functionality of both new modules. The system expects to see the original module - or one like it - and when it doesn't it falls over. I need to change a setting to change its expectation.

BIOS setting?

Pleas help.

Dave

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Try disabling Shadowing and Cacheable RAM

Select the advanced settings option by using the arrow keys on your keyboard to move the highlighted bar. Hit the Enter key when you have the advanced settings options selected.

Find the options for Shadowing and Cacheable RAM and hit the Enter button.

Choose to disable both Shadowing and Cacheable RAM.

Exit by hitting the Esc key.

Press the Y key to save the changes that you have made. Your computer will now restart and boot up with the Shadowing and Cacheable RAM options disabled.

Like this post
BigDH79

Likes # 0

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

The Qosmio BIOS has no advanced settings tab, and has no RAM settings whatsoever that I can see, just a figure of total RAM available.

Not sure if this is hidden or genuinely not available.

More detail of symptoms:

With std 512MB RAM module fitted in lower slot: Computer boots noramlly

With std 512MB module in either slot, with one (either) of the 2 new modules fitted in the other slot: Computer boots normally, improved performance, BIOS and Windows report 1.5GB available.

With either new 1GB module in lower slot, upper slot vacant: Compuer boots to windows logon screen, password entered, windows desktop appears briefly then a blue screen for half a second before crash and restart, repeats behaviour, albeit in safe mode after first crash.

With 2 new 1GB modules installed: Power up light lights, fan starts, nothing appears on screen.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Lets find out exactly what the BSOD says

Auto-reboot disable: When Running windows and it crashes you will get a blue screen and it will automatically restart, often it will restart too fast for you to see the error message. To disable auto restart on system failure, so you can see the error message.

1. Go to Start -> Control Panel -> System (Windows+Pause works, too)
  2. Go to Advanced
  3. Under the Startup and Recovery section, click Settings...
  4. Under System Failure un-check "Automatically restart"
Like this post
BigDH79

Likes # 0

BSOD Text When 1 New SODIMM is installed and other slot empty:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disabe or uninstall any anti-virus, defragmentation or backup utitlities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

* STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xBA673180, 0xBA0672EAC, 0x36303636)

Beginning dump of physical memory Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

I use an HP Simplesave Ext HDD, which has backup software, and only have windows defender as antivirus/malware enabled. Just about to disable the HP software and try again with the Ext HDD removed.

Any further suggestions?

Thanks!

Like this post
BigDH79

Likes # 0

I have now run DSKCHK - no errors found. I removed the ext HDD, and all programs from the startup list, disabling the Simple Save backup monitor. Restarted the computer. Boot fine (1.5GB RAM intalled). Shutdown. Removed the 513k old SODIMM. Boot to windows logon, logged on, got the following error in a dialog box:

Explorer.exe application error The exception Privileged instruction (oxc0000096) ocurred in the application at location 0x77435d07

Ok to terminate cancel to debug

Explorer self terminated while I noted the message and restarted.

I then clicked to open firefox to post here, and.....

BSOD with the following message: " DRIVERIPQLNOTLESSOR_EQUAL

If this is the first time.......etc

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windiws updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any intalled hardware or software, disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components , restart you computer and press F8 to select advanced startup options. Select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

* STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xFFFFFFFF, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xFFFFFFFF)

Beginning dump....etc"

More to ponder.... Computer still boots fine at 1.5 GB.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Neither of those stop error message relate to memory

24 is usually hard drive corruption

and D1, driver problems that could also be caused by hard drive corruption.

PC2700 Sodimm DDR 333 Mhz Cl 2.5, what speed is the old memory?

Need to look in BIOS and set memory speed to the new setting 333

Like this post
BigDH79

Likes # 0

I think old SODIMM is 266MHz, so this is the kind of thing I was after. But with no memory options obvious in BIOS, its a struggle. I'll look again and if necessary post BIOS screenshots....

Thanks again.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Machine appears to need to see the 266 ram and other (new) is then slowed to the same level.

What Bios in your tosh? Pheonix? / Award?

Like this post
BigDH79

Likes # 0

According to windows BIOS is Toshiba V2.0

Can this be changed/updated. All sites say 333 MHz should be compatible, and 400 possible with 64bit OS. Obviously it needs something in the old DIMM at the moment.

Tosh website unsurprisingly no longer supports this model.

Like this post
BigDH79

Likes # 0

Couldn't add a photo on here, but here's a link to similar BIOS pages from another Tosh model:

Scroll to Post #6

You cannot highlight any item in the memory section.....

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers