We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error message on booting PC.

Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I am suddenly getting an error message every time I boot my PC which is

"Windows cannot find '9451116.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again".

The only change I have made since before this started is to install Kaspersky Internet Security 2013 over the 2012 version.

Anyone any experience of this?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Google says this is datacollector.exe From a brief browse I'm by no means clear what this does.

Unless some worthy attribute is found I would treat it as a virus, perhaps start up in safe mode.

I assume this is a pop-up or advert and you can still load Windows?

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

I also looked it up prior to posting and found the datacollector.exe reference, but no indication of what to do next. I have no file called this on my PC, and at the moment, there appears to be no issues with it, but if I keep getting the message every time I boot, then it will start to get really annoying.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

""Windows cannot find '9451116.exe'."

One should always be very suspicious of filenames that are a random string of letters and/or numbers. In your case, a Google search only shows one result for this file and the link points to this PC Advisor thread. The "datacollector.exe" result isn't relevant as 9451116 is simply the last part of the page's URL.

What I think has happened is that Kaspersky has incompletely removed some malware and Windows is still trying to load that missing file on startup. When Windows can't find it, you get that error message.

Start by opening MSconfig and looking through the "Startup" section. If you find a reference to 9451116.exe, untick it, apply your changes and reboot. Don't untick anything else unless you're sure of what you're doing.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Try this, Go to Start/Run type regedit press enter, Go to top left and click on the Computer icon so that search will start at the root. Now go to Edit/Find in the Top Menu type in the Box 9451116.exe press enter Delete what it finds, next press F3 to go to next if it finds it delete it and so on till you get to end of Regedit, Click back on Computer icon then close regedit

Like this post
Peter Lanky

Likes # 0

Now sorted it. For some reason a programme launch had found it's way into my startup folder, hence causing the problem at each startup. Now deleted. there were no instances of the file in registry.

How the file got there is a mystery.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 1

nattley, hmmm, I'm getting that 'potential spammer testing the waters' feeling...

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

nattley, lol you posted a useless post, namely: "Actually, I never experienced such an error. But, still I can help you in this." and your post was the day after the OP had already fixed the problem and was no longer in need of advice.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015