We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

network card help

ball_footy

Likes # 0

hi , must be a couple of years since last post ,have just upgraded to 50mbs broadband (upc) but am told that my network card needs to be upgraded as well , as the network card is intergrated in the motherboard I was thinking of an external network adapter will it work and where can I get one ,my pc is MEDION MD8828PC and its 3 years old thanks in advance

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Network Interface Card - the computer component that sets the maximum speed of your connection - computers have different NIC specifications that allow them to work up to different maximum speeds.

You say your Medion pc is 3 yrs old, do you know the specs of the NIC on the motherboard?

Like this post
ball_footy

Likes # 0

thanks for reply all I know is the following , motherboard properties : MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL MS-7502/VERSION FAB D / SERIAL NO OEM , hope that helps .

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Hi

".....have just upgraded to 50mbs broadband (upc) but am told that my network card needs to be upgraded as well"

Who told you that?

Your PC's on-board network adapter runs at a maximum speed of 100mbps which I'm sure you'll agree is more than capable of coping with a 50mbps broadband connection.

I really don't think you need an upgrade.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You may have a small Network Card that can be changed that plugs into a small network slot on the board, you need to take the back off to find out, also if you have a free PCI slot you can buy and fit a new one. it may be a n card

Also your router may need upgrading to use the above speed upgrade

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

Woodchip, from what the OP has posted so far, what makes you think he needs to upgrade his network card?

"also if you have a free PCI slot you can buy and fit a new one. it may be a n card"

When you say "n card" I presume you're talking about wireless. In that case an external USB WiFi adapter will work just as well (if not better) and doesn't require faffing around inside the PC.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

In his post above he says that it needs upgrading, If he is connected by Ethernet then a Card is better

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

" If he is connected by Ethernet then a Card is better"

Better than what, and in what way? There's absolutely nothing inferior about on-board network adapters if that's what you're talking about.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As per Secret-Squirrel says, you don't need a new network adaptor AFAIK The one on the motherboard according to manual 'Your PC is provided with a Fast Ethernet-Network connector' is 100 mbps. (as is mine and my pc is 7 years old)

Out of curiosity, who said you needed to upgrade it? (just wondering if they actually looked at the specs for your pc or were guessing)

Like this post
ball_footy

Likes # 0

thx for responses upc engineer called out and did some tests ,he got speeds of 54mbs with laptop connected to modem and only 10mbs with desktop connected? have since gone into change adapter settings and when I select 100mbps full duplex I get !!ethernet cable unplugged!! but when I select 10mbps it works only at that speed ?

Like this post
ball_footy

Likes # 0

have since bought
USB 2.0 10/100Mbps Ethernet Adaptor so hope this solves problem

will let you know cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch release date, price and specs: Hands-on and pictures

IDG UK Sites

How to improve iPhone battery life, what to do if your iPhone battery is running low

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes