We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help comparing two HP laptops - ENVY vs. Pavilion - what is the difference?

syncopation
Resolved

Likes # 0

I'm looking into buying an HP laptop, and I'm lost. I want a fast machine that can handle programs like Photoshop and programs like the program needed for SMART Boards for my teaching job.

I have it narrowed down to two options: HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC HP ENVY dv6t-7200 Quad Edition Notebook PC

With coupon codes and the like I can get the two to be $10.00 apart, so price isn't the issue.

The differences I see are: Pavilion - Windows 7 Home - 3rd generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3610QM Processor (2.3 GHz, 6MB L3 Cache) - NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB GDDR3 memory [HDMI, VGA]

ENVY

• Windows 8
  • 3rd generation Intel Core i7-3630QM Processor (2.4GHz, 6MB L3 Cache)
  • NVIDIA(R) GeForce(R) GT 630M Graphics with 1GB of dedicated video memory

The rest seems to be the same. So what is the difference in the body of a Pavilion and an ENVY? Also, I'm iffy about Windows 8. I don't know much about it, but I have Windows 7 now and I like it. I heard that Windows 8 does away with the start menu and desktop and is strange, and not a lot of people like it. I'm also concerned about how compatable the Windows 8 will be with older Windows, because any school I am working in will be on XP or 7, not Windows 8.

Is the ENVY a better machine, or is HP just trying to "say" it is? Is there anything different between an ENVY and a Pavilion besides what I mentioned?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The real difference is that the Envy is what's called a hybrid - it becomes a tablet when you feel the need.

It doesn't have a particularly great battery life, but the main criticism has been of its keyboard - reviewers have found it stiff and unresponsive.

The Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition is a different story - without a doubt it's the one I would choose. If your budget can stretch to it I recommend that you go for the Premium upgrade 1920 x 1080 matte screen - you'll be glad you did.

Like this post  
syncopation

Likes # 0

Thank you! I think I will go with the Pavilion. Unfortunatly my budget doesn't allow for the upgrade of the screen... and I had to very sternly tell myself my budget doesn't allow for it, because it looks beautiful!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...