We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New HDD

aidee

Likes # 0

Hi, I have a Laptop using Vista. The present HDD of the Computer is 91% full. I have bought a 500GB HDD. and what I want to know, is, when I click on MY Computer, I see my 'C' drive, 'D' drive and an empty 'box' - my 'G' or External HDD, can I just 'Drag and Drop' the 'C' drive into the new 'G' drive. Any help will be appreciated, AD

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

No you can't do that. You cannot move your operating system and installed programs to an external hard drive, it has to remain on C:\ (or you will end up with a non booting pc and be in a right mess) In any case Windows will not allow you to move the Op Sys in that manner if you attempt it.

What you can do is copy your 'Documents' folder and contents to the ext hdd. (I suggest copy so that you can make sure they have copied ok before you delete anything from C:\

You have not said how big the D:\ drive is, I presume that contains your Factory Image for recovery? if so it should not be touched.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I would have a look at the content of your Drive and consider how often you use the various Items.

Many of us have some outdated Software that is never used - that can be deleted anyway.

There are usually files, Movies, Picture Albums and Work Archieves, that are rarely consulted or used. Those can be transferred to an External Hard Drive which will then be available, whenever you want them, by just plugging it in to the USB Port.

Once you have taken those off the Drive, you can run CCleaner and Defrag the Drive, but I would recomend that you do not do this until you have it's content below 75%.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As per wee eddie, have a look at the contents of your C:\ drive Documents folder and decide what files you would rather have on your Ext hard drive.

You haven't said how big the C:\ and D:\ drive partitions are, it helps to know so can judge how manufacturer has divided it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...