We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laser Printing compared with Inkjet

brambles

Likes # 0

I have always used good quality Canon Inkjet Printers. My present one is a Pixma iP4500 which is grinding to a halt after 4 years.

I have been looking at Laser printers for example the CLP-365W Samsung which is about £130.00 at Currys. The problem is it doesn't come with any toners and the price for these is about £40.00 each. That means £160.00 for a full refill each time! Are there compatible toners around or do I have to accept that laser is substantially more expensive - and stay with an inkjet.

Back to the laser can the toners be replaced individually by colour as one colour runs out? Sadly I learned there are no toners provided with the purchase.

Happy New Year

Brambles

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't know where you got the idea that it doesn't come with toners from. It ships with starter cartridges good for around 500-700 pages. You replace each cartridge separately as required

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

For compatible inks the Epson Stylus models were the cheapest, IF you can find one now, Epson have gone over to a newer model and compatible inks don't seem to be available yet! I have NO experience with Laser Printers but at the prices you quote I never will have!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I didn't answer about costs. In the last year I have replaced my colour inkjet and mono laser. It is quite difficult to obtain running costs but I came to the conclusion that you cannot beat laser for speed and quality of mono printing. Colour costs of lasers using their cartridges are high compared to many inkjets and the output is variable for colour prints bearing in mind that they require different paper, etc. I came to the conclusion that as I did only a limited amount of colour printing that a mono laser and colour inkjet suited my needs. It is cheaper and most likely better quality to get photos printed on-line or at Jessops/Tesco. For the inkjet I use high yield cartridges and am getting reasonable costs (nowhere near the cost of laser colour) and for black I'm getting very good running costs and excellent speed.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Newest Epson models are "Expression" still no compatible ink sources.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have a CLP 325 and have to admit that I have not consumed any of the 4 Starter Cartriges yet.

To me the advertised cost per page is 'relatively' insignificant as it is calculated on the basis of continuous printing.

I do not continuously print, I do a letter today, a dozen Leaflets tomorrow and some Taxi Schedules the day after. So - what is significant to me, is that I am not using half the cartrige in head-cleaning/startup costs.

I use special Glossy Laser Paper for the leaflets and the Photos in them come out adequately, not brilliant, but I have no quibbles about the quality of colour or definition and unless you are examining them carefully, good enough.

I would not use one as a present for Granny, maybe I could get away with it, her eyesight's not so sharp these days, but I can get hight quality prints done in the Hight Street, these days, should I wish.

One big advantage:- All laser prints are unaffected by water.

One disadvantage:- If you try to use Inkjet Photo Paper in your laser, it sticks to the drums and you will have to replace them ~ It's cheaper to buy a new printer.

Overall:- No regrets, but I'll have to bight the bullet at some time and buy new Cartriges, which I can get from Choice Stationary for considerably less than Curries/PC World/Staples, but still a big wedge. I recon that a full Black Cart will last me about 4 years anyway, at my current consumption level!

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Laser or Inkjet? they both have there place. Laser is firstly waterproof. Normally Sharper text Mine a Epson AcuLaser c1100 is also good with photos on cheap Laser copy paper. You know what there is to know about inkjets as you have one

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

wee eddie

"but I'll have to bite the bullet at some time and buy new Cartriges, which I can get from Choice Stationary for considerably less than Curries/PC World/Staples"

I check prices at three suppliers and Choice is the most expensive, although prices change almost daily:

Cartridge Save

Y £36.86 - M £36.94 - C £36.83 - B £36.86 - Rainbow Pack £134.61

Cartridge Monkey

Y £45.05 - M £45.14 - C £43.98 - B £45.05 - Rainbow Pack £172.05

Choice Stationery

Y £45.11 - M £46.11 - C £45.08 - B £45.11 - All four - £181.41 (no rainbow pack)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Thanks 'mgmmc'.

They've increased by a £10 each, since I looked in September.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

You can also get filler kits for most laser cartridges. Several sources on the internet in UK. Also remanufactured ones are also available.

Laser/Inkjet?? Depends on many factors. Are you wanting to print colour or just black and white. For B/W the laser wins out by a mile in terms of cost and SPEED. Cartridges last many times the life of an inkjet cartridge so although the cost is initially high the cost per page is lower.

For colour printing it depends on volume usage. If you only want to print the odd colour page.photo etc then and inkjet is probably cheaper bearing in mind the cost of a colour laser (although they have come down in price quite dramatically just lately. Also Inkjets can print at a much higher resolution in most cases.

The suggestion above by Woolwell is probably the best compromise for most people.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I purchased the Samsung CLP-365W in September 2012 which was on a special offer at Argos for £89.99. I would be very surprised if the printer came without cartridges and toner. Mine were all installed in the printer and ready to go. I had it set up and printing within 10 minutes. It took me longer to get it out of the box!

If as you say Curry's are offering this printer without cartridges then you are simply being "ripped off" in my opinion so steer clear. My printer is in daily use and all 4 cartridges are still showing in excess of 80% remaining. I do use grayscale with Eco mode for quick prints for personal use so there are plenty of options for saving.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this printer BUT look around for the BARGAIN prices. You should/may be able to get it cheaper if you shop around. At the time I purchased mine it was being sold for £163 on another site!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...