We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Advice on suitable CPU cooler/fan

hssutton

Likes # 0

I'm about to assemble a new PC, but I'm a little concerned regarding the CPU cooler. This needs to be easy to fit due to my less than nimble fingers (athritis)I don't think I will be limited by space as I'm using the Antec 1000 case (chosen again for ease of fitting associated bits & pieces).

The motherboard will be the Asrock Fatal1TY P67 with an Intel Core i5 3330 3.00GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache and 16Gb ram. looking at various reviews suggest a number of coolers are either difficult to fit, or overlap the Dimm slots.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Most modern heat-sinks come with a simple push pin fitting arrangement. Similar to this. These are just pushed into existing holes on your motherboard. This type of heat-sink will probably have come with your CPU. These day the stock coolers are pretty good and will suit most PC users.

Other heat-sinks are screwed to a back-plate which surprisingly enough fits on the back of your motherboard and your heat-sink is bolted through.what makes these easy to fit is that they can be attached when the motherboard is out of the case.

There are also other type of fittings similar to the cooler I am currently using Arctic which uses small pins and can be quite fiddly.

I would not worry about a heat-sink and conflict with your RAM this is rare.

To answer your question more fully why not look for heat-sinks you might fancy then post make and model here and we will be able to tell you whether they are easy of not so easy to fit?

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Many thanks for for your reply, I've ordered the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler. Will let you know how I get on. It's just that these days my fingers often don't do what I want, probably getting a little paranoid :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback