We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

uninstall I.E.8 because of problems printing O.E.6 messages

Markito

Likes # 0

Firstly, Happy New Year to all.

Now, is the action I suggested in the title a possible cure for not being able to print whole messages in Outlook Express 6? (Only the header gets printed). I should add that I have Windows XP SP3 and as far as I recall, when I had I.E.7 - which was pre-installed - there was no O.E. printing problem. With the continual Windows updates could it be that there's a compatibility issue?

If you think I could well be right, is it safe to uninstall I.E.8? When I was about to do it from "Add / Remove" programs, a warning message came up saying that I might have problems with a vast array of software if I uninstalled. So I didn't go through with it. Some reassurance on this point would be appreciated. I should add that my default browser is Firefox which I use for all web browsing.

Also, how do I stop I.E.8 from reinstalling assuming my laptop installs I.E 7 after the uninstall of 8? I assume I would need to keep checking manually for Windows updates (instead of my computer doing so automatically) to stop being upadated to I.E.8 again.

Many thanks in advance and Happy New Year to all.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I see from a previous post that you've had this problem for about a year. As far as I am aware there were problems with IE7 and OE6 but not with IE8. Going back may not therefore help. You may consider moving to Windows Live Mail.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thanks for your suggestion, but in all other ways I'm quite happy with Outlook Express 6. It just seems odd that I should have to suffer because of a possible glitch in compatibility with a version of Internet Explorer which I never really asked for in the first place.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I have to agree with Woolwell - I suggest staying with IE8 and changing to a newer email program.

The Outlook Express application is the default e-mail client on PC computers running Windows XP. Outlook Express comes installed with the operating system, but if you choose to use a different e-mail application, you may delete Outlook Express. If you want to get the program back on your computer, you can reinstall Outlook Express as long as you are an administrator on the computer.

This LINK describes how enter link description here

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thanks guys.

Since two of you now agree, I will look at another e-mail programme, as long as it's easy to install and I can transfer existing Outlook Express e-mails and address book to the new one.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Instructions here for importing your OE Mail and Account settings into Windows live Mail enter link description here

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Don't confuse Windows Live Mail with Windows Live Hotmail. Windows Live Mail is part of Windows Essentials Download link. You do not have to install the rest of Windows Essentials, just make sure that when installing that you click only those that you want or untick those you do not want.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thanks again both.

Being a bit of s "stick in the mud" I needed to have my confidence boosted before attempting any major changes on my computer.

Best wishes and have a Happy New Year.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow