We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wireless printing set up

tonyq

Likes # 0

could you good people explain, what set up you need to use a wireless printer. e.g does the printer have to be connected to a desktop/laptop to be able to use the printer from a different pc/laptop? I have got broadband router ect.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A printer with wifi or ethernet cable which can connect to a router independently can be used by any system which is using the router through cable or wifi without other laptops, desktops etc being on. I have two printers one connected by cable to my router and the other by wifi. Both can be accessed by the desktop, either of the laptops, the ipad and smartphones. However before that I had a printer which could only connect to my desktop by usb. For the laptop to use that then the desktop had to be on.

Hope this helps and is not as clear as mud.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Woolwell, my present set up is a PC connected to printer(USB)in spare bedroom, a laptop and iPad which I use downstairs,all connected to router via wifi. Which at present means that if I want to print something from the laptop I have to put it on a usb stick or put in Dropbox,turn on the PC up stairs to print. If I have read your reply correctly, I can have the wireless printer any ware in the house on its own,and be able to send to the printer,as long as everything as wifi set up.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can have a wireless printer anywhere where it can get a good wifi signal. I have an all-in-one and can scan from anywhere too. For an iPad you need to check that there is an app or iPrint will work with the printer.

With your present set up, and if the laptop and desktop are networked, then providing the desktop is on then you should be able to print direct from the laptop without having to use a memory stick or transfer docs to the pc.

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

"then providing the desktop is on" so the desktop will have to be switched on? or should that read "then providing the printer is on"

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

With your current set up both printer and desktop have to be on and laptop networked. You will be in effect printing through the desktop.

With a stand-alone wifi printer then any other system doesn't have to be on eg I can print from my iPad anywhere in the house without desktop or laptop being on.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the printer you have is a wireless one (which you say it is), you just need to unplug the USB lead, then connect the printer to your network wirelessly. Most have a wizard to help with this.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - I don't think that it is a wireless printer second post refers to usb.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Yes, but in the heading and first post he refers to a wireless printer. Will wait for him to get back to us!

Like this post
tonyq

Likes # 0

Hi all, my current printer is not wireless,I am thinking of getting a wireless one.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I guessed that you were thinking of one. Is it a present for yourself?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide