We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Uninstall Kubuntu - install Windows XP Pro

mike0liver

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba NB100 Notebook which has been running Linux Kubuntu 11.10 as the OS for a few years but I now want it to run some Windows applications that won't run on Linux (even under "Wine"). I have removed the partitions on which Kubuntu was installed (as instructed on the Kubuntu Forum) and inserted my Windows XP Pro installation disk (a properly valid disk with hologram and product code) but it does not show the introductory page to allow me to choose to create a partition, etc., and simply moves into the loading of Windows files.

When this process is over, the screen shows that Windows is going to install but then the blue screen of death appears.

I have Linux running on another machine, so don't want to run Linux and Windows from the same computer.

Can anyone help?

Mike

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

There's a couple of things you could try.

First, if you haven't already got one, get a recent Linux live CD/DVD of any of the major distros - Mint or Ubuntu.

Boot into it and use gparted to create the partitions you want in the format you want. In fact, you could use FAT, because when XP auto installs, it's default will be NTFS and it may make the process easier.

If that doesn't work, I had a very similar problem recently on a laptop and it turned out to be one of the memory sticks had corrupted. Removing the faulty stick cured the problem. So if you think that may be a cause, again use your Live CD/DVD and when it starts to boot, go into the menu and run the memtest. If it starts showing a significant number of errors, that's almost certainly where your problem lays.

It's then just a question of finding which one (if there's two) is the culprit.

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

When I deleted the partitions, I did exactly what you have suggested but I was told, on the Kubuntu Forum, that I should format the partition as NTFS - which I did. Would FAT perhaps be more likely to succeed?

Thanks for the suggestion about the memory stick. When it starts to boot, how do I go into the menu (and what menu do I go into)? As far as I'm aware, the whole Kubuntu Linux OS has to install before I can access anything. Anyway, I'll give it a try and see how I get on - thanks.

Mike

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

I found out how to access the Ubuntu menu to run memtest and there appear to be no problems with my notebook. Something which may offer a clue is that gparted formatted the hard drive partition using waht appeared ti be a directory path of /ext/sda. Is this likely to affect Windows' ability to identify the location for installation?

Mike

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes windows cannot see that type of formatted partition

Can you reformat as Fat32? then windows will be able to see the drive.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I think you mean /dev/sda, which in Windows terms would be C:

If you didn't set gparted specifically to format as FAT, then it would have defaulted to one of the ext options (2, 3 or 4). And it's quite correct that Windows cannot recognise them.

What is strange however, is XP should give you the option to use the whole drive and format as required. You don't appear to be getting that.

FAT would definitely be the best option to start the process. If it still won't play ball, it's unlikely to be anything to do with your Kubuntu installation, as effectively, that's now gone.

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

It's the Kubuntu partition editor (gparted??) that sets this directory path and I can't see how to change that. I told the partition editor to format as FAT32 and it seems to have done that but it still shows the path as /dev/sda. There are no other partitions present.

I am now installing Ubuntu 8.04 to see if I can modify the partitioning with its software as it is a slightly different OS to the Kubuntu 11.10 I was previously using.

Why can't the computing industry keep things simple for the people who buy the gear? :-)

Mike

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Let's not get confused. Linux (whatever distro) will always show the path as /dev/xxx It's only Windows that uses letters as designators. So even if you've formatted to FAT via gparted, it will still appear (in your case) as /dev/sda. It's only when you install Windows that the designator will change.

I hope I didn't confuse you ;-)

Just as a side note, sda means scsi device "a" - in your case, it's almost certainly a sata drive. If you had a second drive, it would be /dev/sdb and so on.

If you see designators in addition, for example /dev/sda1, it means the first primary partition on sda. /dev/sda2 would be the secondary primary partition. Logical partitions start at 5, for example /dev/sda5 as you are allowed 4 primary partitions.

Older computers using IDE drives are designated /dev/hda (hard drive a) and the rest follows the same format.

Floppy drives? Well you've guessed it - /dev/fda

So it's all logical once you know the background.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ah

XP was pre SATA and may well struggle to see a SATA disk the SATA drivers need to be loaded at the F6 prompt as the CD first boots.

Installing XP on SATA drive Once you have the drive(s) connected you are ready to start installing XP. Master and Slave Remember since it's serial you can only have one device per SATA port/cable so SATA drives don't have jumpers. On the Motherboard SATA1 Port is for the primary device, SATA2 port is for the secondary device etc.

SATA controller driver Your Motherboard or SATA controller card requires a driver to work properly. Drivers may be written into BIOS, Try and see if windows CD can see the drive, if not then the SATA drivers can be located on the installation CD that came with your Motherboard or preferably, download the latest SATA controller drivers from the manufacturers site. Once you have located the drivers copy them to a formatted floppy disk. Make sure they are in the root directory i.e. not contained within any folders. If you did not get a Floppy Disk with the SATA driver included with your Motherboard you may have to make one.

BIOS settings When you turn on the PC hit the Delete key when prompted and you will enter the BIOS (Basic Input Output System). Here you set the first boot device to be the CDROM drive, the option is usually found under the Advanced Options section but this depends on your BIOS and you may have to look around for it. Once you have done this save and exit.

Installing the SATA controller driver Once you have set the PC to boot from the CD make sure the XP CD is in the CD drive and start the installation as per usual. Within the first minute or so of the installation Windows will prompt you to press F6 to install RAID or SCSI drivers, do this. Windows will continue to install then ask you to locate the driver. now with the floppy disk created earlier in drive A: select the driver and hit Enter. With the SATA drivers installed you can now continue the Windows installation as usual.

BIOS settings revisited Once Windows has finished installing you will need to make sure the PC is set to boot from the SATA drive. To do this make the first boot device SATA if the option is available. If not you have two options: HD0 - If there are no IDE HDs present, or SCSI if you do plan on running an IDE HD as a secondary device.

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat:

Could you please clarify a couple of things: I'm not sure what you mean by a SATA disk - do you mean the hard drive or a CD drive? My little notebook has no internal CD drive and I use an external one connected by USB. Also, there is no floppy drive that might be designated as the A:/ drive; again this can be connected by USB.

I have no problem geting to the F6 prompt and putting up the screen to load 3rd party SCSI/RAID driver but do the drivers come as part of the Windows package on the installation disk? If not, where would I be likely to find them?

I don't believe there will be a master/slave issue - the notebook has only one internal hard drive. This drive is seen and recognised by BIOS - I have looked at the BIOS in order to set the boot device order to allow me to boot Kubuntu and Windows from the external CD drive.

With regard to drivers for the hard drive, why would these be available for Kubuntu and not for Windows? Also, the recovery disk for the notebook is based on Ubuntu, the OS that was installed when I bought the hardware. Can I install from this whilst in the Windows F6 SCSI/RAID driver option is being accessed from the Windows installation disk? I shall attempt the F6 operation next and report back on progress.

As you can probably tell, I have limited technical know-how and much of what is going on is a mystery to me. However, thanks for your efforts on my behalf.

Cheers

Mike

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

Last Chip:

Thanks for the simple explanation of how Linux sees drives - no, you didn't confuse me; I agree that the way the Windows installation disks seem to be operating is odd - I've never experienced it before (even with these self-same disks) and it's why I wonder whether there is some remnant of Kubuntu that is interfering with things.

I tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 which I found in a book on Linux and which was the OS installed when I bought the notebook but I think it must be faulty so I'm now going back to the Toshiba Product Recovery disk I got with the machine. Onwards and upwards! :-)

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote