We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Uninstall Kubuntu - install Windows XP Pro

mike0liver

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba NB100 Notebook which has been running Linux Kubuntu 11.10 as the OS for a few years but I now want it to run some Windows applications that won't run on Linux (even under "Wine"). I have removed the partitions on which Kubuntu was installed (as instructed on the Kubuntu Forum) and inserted my Windows XP Pro installation disk (a properly valid disk with hologram and product code) but it does not show the introductory page to allow me to choose to create a partition, etc., and simply moves into the loading of Windows files.

When this process is over, the screen shows that Windows is going to install but then the blue screen of death appears.

I have Linux running on another machine, so don't want to run Linux and Windows from the same computer.

Can anyone help?

Mike

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Don't be so sure, some machines have the boot sector embedded. I grant you it would be unusual, but not impossible. It's normally found in commercial devices, but I wouldn't put anything past today's manufacturers. And in fact, it can be found on some tab devices.

The argument is, it avoids any corruption. Maybe, but at what cost to the consumer?

Keep an open mind.

At the end of the day, there's only two places it can be, the hard drive or on a chip!

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

I've heard back from Toshiba at last. Know what they said? "Set the SATA control mode to ‘Compatibility’ and this should solve the problem"!!!! LOL.

I have explained to them, gently, that this was the first thing we tried. Maybe the next thing will be to suggest I use the partition control to delete the partitions :-)

I think I may have identified the problem with my Vaio laptop - there seems to be a problem with the grahpics card driver (NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS) although I just downloaded and inserted the latest driver and first impressions are that it hasn't cured it.

When I try to install Windows XP Pro, the setup prog indicates it can't locate a hard drive but I have had the thing up and running again this morning both in Safe Mode and normall mode but the VDU has vertical stripey bars across it.

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Linux as messed the Boot sector up, Formating will not change that, you need to first run KillDisk to clear the full drive then if it needs Sata Drivers you should load them then run the XP setup CD

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

When I try to install Windows XP Pro yje baio wi;kkk again have a SATA drive and you will need to install the SATA drivers at the F6 prompy as XP CD starts.

Or use Nlite to slipstraeam a set of staa drivers and XP onto a new CD. see here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...