We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Uninstall Kubuntu - install Windows XP Pro

mike0liver

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba NB100 Notebook which has been running Linux Kubuntu 11.10 as the OS for a few years but I now want it to run some Windows applications that won't run on Linux (even under "Wine"). I have removed the partitions on which Kubuntu was installed (as instructed on the Kubuntu Forum) and inserted my Windows XP Pro installation disk (a properly valid disk with hologram and product code) but it does not show the introductory page to allow me to choose to create a partition, etc., and simply moves into the loading of Windows files.

When this process is over, the screen shows that Windows is going to install but then the blue screen of death appears.

I have Linux running on another machine, so don't want to run Linux and Windows from the same computer.

Can anyone help?

Mike

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

I fear that's probably beyond my capabilities - I wouldn't know how (nor, I suspect, have the equipment) to do that. I've spent so much time on this, it's becoming a marginal exercise.

I'm going to persevere with the DBAN software and see if I can get that working. The latest is that, having got the optical drive to boot the DBAN DVD, I'm told there's no configuration file - except that I have seen it there on the disk!

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I'm now seriously wondering if GRUB is hard coded into the BIOS. Similar in concept to the new UEFI Secure Boot Microsoft has introduced with Windows 8.

You'd never believe you're expected to pay money for all of this!!

Whatever happened to you buy a device and own it!

Just like Apple and their famed locked down systems, I'm finding limitations in my Galaxy Tab and that's Android (a Linux derivative) and supposed to be open source.

Frustrating, is putting it mildly.

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

Well, everything has now failed. The grub seems to have burrowed its way into the core of my little notebook and those facilities will be denied me for running my Windows software on my travels. As Lst Chip said - what ever happened to customer choice? Neither Toshiba nor the retailer told me that I would never be able to use the Notebook for running Windows and Toshiba have made no response to my "official" enquiry via their website.

If I encounter someone who could reformat the HDD out of the parent machine, I'll do as is suggested but, until then, I shall have to re-install a Linux OS and forget the other things I want to do.

I am now treating this thread as complete and would like to thank the people who tried to help me for their patience and persistence - much appreciated, guys.

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Remove drive from laptop place into a USB caddy like this one - connect to another machine and format the drive.

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

That looks pretty cool. Do you know if the one advertised definitely take the drive from my notebook, or do I need to search for something that will?

The reviews look pretty impressive, so I might well be tempted.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes its a SATA HDD so that caddy would be OK

Hard drives are usually under a cover on the base or push in one side however:

Removing the drive is a little tricky on NB100 model

1) Remove the battery, turn the unit over and press the power button for a few seconds to remove any residual power in the motherboard.

2) Turn the unit over and remove every screw you can see, there are 11 I think. There is also one under where the battery sits.

3) Turn the unit over and open up the screen, now prize up the cover where the power button is from either end.

4) There is one screw either side under this cover holding the keyboard down, remove them.

5) CAREFULLY lift up the keyboard from the top, under it you will see a ribbon cable in the lower centre, unclip the locking bar and gently pull out the ribbon from the motherboard. Now you will see the HDD on the left side under the cover, that's where you need to get.

6) You'll see in the lower right corner a small ribbon connector, for the touchpad, unclip and remove it gently. (may be possible to do without this step) There are two connectors in the centre with cables coming from the display, disconnect them and unhook the wiring.

7) Under an insulator strip at the top right of the motherboard there are two connectors for aerials, unclip them.

8) There are two screws, either side at the top holding the display, remove them and the display will be removable.

9) Remove every screw you can find in the top cover of the lower half, and gently prise it from the underside, separating the two halves, if it wont separate, you've missed one, have a closer look.

10) You can now remove the two screws securing the HDD in (on the left of it) Unclip the HDD, turn it over and you'll see four screws holding the HDD to the bracket, remove them, and refit the bracket to your new HDD.

11) Refitting is a complete reversal of removal, bearing in mind that some of the screws are different lengths, you must replace them in their original positions.

Pictures here and instructions in Italian of how to strip completely. Video here again in Italian

Another set of instructions here say you do not need to remove the display

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat:

I really appreciate your effort to help but this looks like an invitation for me irreparably to damage my notebook! I suspect the end result would be likely to be similar to buying a new machine - cost around £200!!!

My son has given me a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ31S laptop which needs repair. I think the Toshiba HDD is faulty - it tries to boot but keeps defaulting to a system restore screen that then moves to the blue screen of death with a message that the file nvlddmkm.sys is causing a problem. I managed to get it up and running once but it crashed about half-an-hour later and has reverted to the old behaviour.

I think the hard drive is a 2.5" SATA that I can try to re-format in the cradle you suggested and that may provide me with a workable solution.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sony Vaio problem

nvlddmkm.sys is an nvidea graphics driver file

download the latest nvidea drivers

Boot to safemode and install the drivers then it should boot into normal working

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

I did wonder if it had something to do with the video card - there's a fair amount of screen corruption. However, getting it to boot at all is hit-and-miss. This isn't really part of this thread but, if you're interested, I'll let you know how it goes.

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Yes keep us informed

I would still persist with the Toshiba in attempting to use a boot DVD to format the drive and get rid of the linux (it will be on the drive not in the BIOS)

Dban for Cd or USB stick here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...