We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Uninstall Kubuntu - install Windows XP Pro

mike0liver

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba NB100 Notebook which has been running Linux Kubuntu 11.10 as the OS for a few years but I now want it to run some Windows applications that won't run on Linux (even under "Wine"). I have removed the partitions on which Kubuntu was installed (as instructed on the Kubuntu Forum) and inserted my Windows XP Pro installation disk (a properly valid disk with hologram and product code) but it does not show the introductory page to allow me to choose to create a partition, etc., and simply moves into the loading of Windows files.

When this process is over, the screen shows that Windows is going to install but then the blue screen of death appears.

I have Linux running on another machine, so don't want to run Linux and Windows from the same computer.

Can anyone help?

Mike

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

It seems the problem lays with XP.

Apparently, SP3 resolves the problem.

For more information, click here.

Essentially XP (as Fruit Bat /\0/\ says), was never designed to be installed on a sata drive.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have a read if this site it explains what you need to do to install xp on to your SATA hard drive

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

OK - there seem to be three or four different problems under discussion there but it looks like what I have to do is change the drive status in BIOS to "compatible" after deleting the Linux partition. My Windows XP installation disk is SP3 so that should be OK.

I'll try the method tomorrow and report back. I am really grateful to you guys for staying with me - thanks.

Mike

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

I think I'm going to give this up! I ran the partition application under Kubuntu once more just to be sure I had cleared the partitions, then I set the SATA drive to "compatibility" and ran my Windows XP Pro (SP3) installation from the external CD drive (USB connection). No change from the first time - blue screen of death.

I've even downloaded a copy of MS-DOS 6.2 to a memory stick and have tried to run that as suggested by one of the contributors to the Toshiba forum. The result was a black screen that said "Grub loading stage1.5"; "Grub loading, please wait..."; "Error 22". No sign of MS-DOS. What's all that about? Isn't grub something to do with Linux? Are my suspicions that some part of Linux is still lurking on my notebook and preventing Windows from istalling correct?

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I'm beginning to wonder how the manufacturers of this computer have set it up.

GRUB is indeed the boot loader for Linux (it can also be Lilo amongst others).

Clearly others have had issues in trying to load XP onto your machine.

What is it about the paranoia of manufacturers that try and lock you into systems, whatever they may be?

If you can find a way of re-writing the master boot record, that may be the key. But it seems you're in a chicken and egg situation, where XP won't get to the point where you could do a repair to set that in motion.

Take a look at the Ultimate Boot CD and see if that may help you.

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

I'm with you on that! I have downloaded a copy of MS-DOS 6.2 to see if I can get that on to the notebook and try to use the fdisk facility to reformat the HDD. At the moment, my problem is how to get the MS-DOS files in a form that I can get on to my notebook. There are three .exe files (which I think represent the three floppies on which MS-DOS used to be provided). I'll probably put them on three 1.44 Mb floopy disks and use my external floppy disk drive to try and get them to work on the notebook.

There was a guy on the Toshiba forum who said: "My solution (must thank other posters for the idea) was to install DOS 6.2 first using usb floppy disk drive (had to use fdisk to delete all partitions first before install would work), then use a xp prof sp1 CD slipstreamed with sp3 to install via external DVD drive. Also set compatability mode in bios settings. Not sure why that worked when nothing else did? and i did try a lot of different things." Fortunately (?) my XP disk is SP3 already so I shouldn't have to do "slipstreaming" whatever that is :-)

I'll come back and report progress (if any) just so anyone else with the same problems who tries this forum will benefit.

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Slipstreaming is merging two or more CDs onto on disk,in this case use a program called nlite to merge the SATA drivers with the XP CD.

Securely Erase a Mechanical Hard Drive With DBAN http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/3379258/how-securely-erase-your-hard-drive/

that should get rid of any linger linux

then retry your XP sp3 CD

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat:

Thanks - I'll give that a shot tomorrow. I managed to get MS-DOS on to the notebook but can find no way of accessing it functions because of the cursed "grub"!!!

Cheers,

Mike

Like this post
mike0liver

Likes # 0

OK - I've burned the DBAN iso file on to a DVD and put that in my optical drive (connected to my notebook by a USB cable) and told BIOS to boot from that drive. All I get is the message about bl--dy grub!!! The DVD won't boot the notebook.

Mike

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

My next thought is to take out the drive attach it to another machine and wipe it that way.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......