We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to load altered images

peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

I have a PC that I have been using for just over a year. I went to my old PC that I have left for that length of time to move some photographic images over. I copied them with no problem but where the original image would open , next to it if I had altered them in any way through a programme such as P.S.Pro then they would not. Obviously I have tried various ways to open them including the original file on the old PC. All are of different sizes and were altered in about 2003. I can only think the programme that I used has gone. Is the any programme I can try to open them available? The list I have tried is Adobe, IrfanView, PSP, Windows Image viewer. Any help appreciated.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

You seem to have tried most of the programs already. What is the file extension of the files that will not open.

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Thanks alanrwood for your reply. They are now all with the file extensions I have tried to alter to and open with. Originally they would have been only one or two formats as I never did use the programmes own. The two are J peg or more likely Tiff. Best Wishes.

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Could I ask if anyone knows of a programme that will open up almost any windows image file? Which is the best? Many thanks.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

Hi again

PSP will open nearly any image format you can think of, as will IrfanView. I am not clear what you mean in your first reply. Have you changed the file extensions manually since they were on your original machine or do you mean that they were originally and still are jpg or tif

Like this post
peterleemaxwell

Likes # 0

Hi alanrwood. I have changed the file extension that many times now I have forgot what the original extension was. Although it would have been one of the ones I have tried. I am thinking now it will be something, only a guess, that I have gone to 64bit on the new PC from 32bit on the old one. I'll do a bit of fiddling. Many thanks for your help.

Like this post
alanrwood

Likes # 0

It should not matter whether you are in 32 or 64 bit. Have you changed the extensions on the original file on the old computer.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

in addition to alanrwood's responses - What is the message that pops up from each program (on each pc) when they fail to open the image file?

If (as alanrwood suggests) you still have files on old pc in original form, then that is the place to start. does the old pc still boot up ok?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes