We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading my PC: Where do I start?

MaxCSW

Likes # 0

Ok so I have an 8 year old PC that still runs well. At the moment it runs Windows 7 ultimate at a good speed. I now want to give it a full upgrade, but it will have to be bit by bit as money allows me to. I am just wondering, what should I upgrade first? (I was thinking the processor but I really am a beginner.)

Thanks Guys

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

Difficult to say , without knowing your current specs , how far you want to upgrade , and what are you upgrading for ? As for starting with CPU , you would be better off getting a bundle . eg:http://www.scan.co.uk/3xs-overclocked-bundles , this to give you some idea .

Like this post
MaxCSW

Likes # 0

Okay thanks, I'll get the specs back to you ASAP.

Like this post
MaxCSW

Likes # 0

Also, I'm upgrading for gaming and things like movie making and photoshop.

Like this post
nickf

Likes # 0

I think you may well be better off starting from scratch . As you are a beginner , I would not recommend building yourself , there are plenty of good system builders out there that will make system for you . There will be very little cost difference to building yourself , and the system will be balanced and matched for you to your requirements and budget . I personally have used http://3xs.scan.co.uk/ , and vouch for there quality and value , but there is a wide choice .

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

The single most effective upgrade is an increase in RAM, particularly where games and big image files are concerned, and I recommend that you tackle that first - add as much RAM as your motherboard will allow.

Next, look at upgrading the graphics card.

A good deal depends on the existing hardware configuration,as nickf says - the motherboard in particular - so let us have that information before we go any further. It may well be more cost effective to cut your losses and go for a new machine, but it's difficult to tell at the moment.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Ram, graphics card, ( as long as PSU can cope !), processor. If you get that far, then think about a new pc !!! AS FE says, spec would be useful to say for certain.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite