We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

which tablet for the following requirements ?

Creditman

Likes # 0

A very basic device with following a) Internet, so I can shop, use ebay, obtain information b) Email c) Import documents & photos from existing Microsoft Works files on my desktop, with facility to add or amend data. d) Word processing & spread sheet creation d) Print facility (to wi-fi printer

No interest in films, games, gaming, e-books, music downloads, social networking

Does such a tablet exist ? I have been given a Samsung Galaxy tab 2 10.1 which I find very hard to understand & which is full of things I don't want !! Many thanks

Like this post
difarn

Likes # 0

Most tablets will come with apps included as part of Rom and which cannot easily be uninstalled, if at all - media, kindle, social networks etc. It very much sounds to me that what you need is a small laptop/notebook. You will probably be better with a bigger screen if you want to create spread sheets etc.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Microsoft Works files? Surely nobody uses these for serious work - are you sure? All the apps available use compatible versions of MS Office formats and to be honest, on a tablet they are pretty haphazard. OK if you are out of the office to view files but I am with difarn on this one. A laptop is a better bet.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Wait and see what the M$ Surface Pro has to offer.

That's what I'm doing.

Outlook is the one Program to rule them all. For me - that is. If it'll take the .pst file from my Desktop and then keep everything syncronised, it's a wrap. I'm not a fast typist anyway, so that is not a bother, and I don't 'really' need oodles of storage space.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

wee eddie - I'm with you on this one. I am waiting for a fully compatible Surface tablet and I may consider it depending on the price od course. My only concern is that I don't particularly want to be doing prolonged work on a small tablet - my eyesight woulddn't take it! For occasional client visits and sales work it should be fine however.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Taff: I think that the Surface Pro will take the position that Psion once had. Not perfect, but the instrument of choice of the Road Warrior.

Like this post
Creditman

Likes # 0

Difarn, Taff Wee Eddie

many thanks for all the advice. I am now looking at a second hand Samsung NC10 netbook using Windows XP with WiFi & Bluetooth. This seems to have all the features I require & seller claims XP has been freshly installed. I just wonder whether it will be too slow & how long battery might last. Any comments on this ?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014