We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nexus 7

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Anyone got a Nexus 7. Does it have a file/folder facility like Windows Explorer and does it allow files/folders to be transferred from a PC.

I want to store my photos in subject/day/month/year format. The iPad won't allow that sort of format or transfer from PC but I'm hoping that the Nexus 7 does have these features.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I'm not sure it allows transfer of folders - but that's based only on possible incompatibility between the Windows file system and the Android file system. Transferring files should work, as both support e.g. .jpg, but you may have to use the Nexus's native folder system. It's always worth looking round the Android marketplace (or whatever it's called) for third party file managers that might do what you want.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

I have copy/pasted photo/music and video folders to mine without any extra apps.

Connect tp PC by usb and Nexus is shown as a drive in 'My Computer'

Find the appropriate folder and paste into it.

Music goes into music, photos into gallery and videos into films.

Useful forum here if you haven't yet found it:

Nexus 7 forum.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

muddypaws: you - I - live and learn. As my wife just got a tablet for Christmas, that's useful information.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Very true.

I have been using the 'Boat Browser on mine. Free from the play store.

Easy to add favourites/bookmarks by clicking the star at the end of address bar .

Press on the entry in favs to get options.

Also have avg free from the store.

And Dice Player will play most video files.

Will shut up now__don't want to spoil your fun!!!

Sent from my Nexus !!!!

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Thanks for the feedback muddypaws and Ian in Northampton.

So muddypaws, you connect to your pc via a usb connector. You're not dependent on the bluetooth or wifi for connecting then?

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Just connect with the cable it came with. Haven't messed with bluetooth yet.

Just came across this for Ian:

Creating folders

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Sorry that wad for you RegScriv

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

I haven't tried it yet, but this may also be of interest.

I've ordered a USB OTG cable which puts a standard USB connector on the end of a short cable to plug in to the Nexus's mini-USB. You can then get apps that purport to support plugging flash drives into the Nexus via the UBS OTG cable without the need for rooting (and then use a file manager to move stuff around).

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Hi Batch. What is an USB OTG cable. It sounds as if it's the same as the cable that comes with the Nexus, which I assume has a standard USB plug one end and a micro USB the other end - not having one I don't know.

muddypaws, are you able to create a folder system on your Nexus from your PC when the Nexus is connected via the cable provided. I've read on another forum where it's just a matter of double clicking the Nexus icon in Windows Explorer and then right clicking to create folders.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Have a look at this forum, link below. Other people have been experiencing the same problem but droidnutt1130 seems to have cracked it;

http://forums.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-tablet-forum/194692-nexus-folders-files-question.html

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes