We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Nexus 7

RegScriv

Likes # 0

Anyone got a Nexus 7. Does it have a file/folder facility like Windows Explorer and does it allow files/folders to be transferred from a PC.

I want to store my photos in subject/day/month/year format. The iPad won't allow that sort of format or transfer from PC but I'm hoping that the Nexus 7 does have these features.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

RegScriv

USB sockets on your PC are best described as female and flash drives have male USB plugs.

The cable supplied with the Nexus has a male standard USB plug and so you cannot plug a flash drive into it. USB OTG cables have a female socket which with take a male plug (e.g. a flash drive).

Also (as I understand it) out of the box, the Nexus is not able to recognise flash drives, hence the need for an additional app.

Google USB OTG and you can find out more.

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Ok, thanks Batch

Like this post
RegScriv

Likes # 0

Just thinking further Batch, presumably this would give additional storage over and above the native 16/32Gb capacity of the Nexus, albeit by means of an external device

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

RegScriv

Bit late checking in today!

Nexus to PC via cable....I have gone to My comp/Nexus/internal storage and have created a new folder in usual way ( file/create new). Pasted a jpg into it and it appears in 'Gallery' as the first item. Not as a folder, but as the photo.

So don't quite see the advantage of creating a folder at the moment. Unless the folder is lodged somewhere else. Might just as well pasted direct to gallery.

Will keep you posted.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

RegScriv

I have the OTG, but haven't used it yet.

Apparently you need the Media Importer from the store which is free ( I think, and I have it.

Hopefully when I use it I can just access it and it doesn't transfer the lot!!!!

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

RegScriv,

Yes you could use it as additional storage, but I guess it is a tad inconvenient having a short cable (few inches only) and flash drive hanging there.

I've got 32GB Nexus which I hope is enough for most purposes.

But USB OTG may be useful for accessing confidential info. (which I don't want to store directly on the Nexus) when I'm travelling.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

RegScriv

Just connected a 16gb pen drive full of music folders.

It displays an option 'Always use the importer with this device'.

OK it and all music appears either under Music or under Folders.

It plays OK, but beware of the option to 'Root' the Nexus. From what I have read it

requires more brains than I have! Unless it refers to the root music folder.

Above the list of albums is says 'Root, Read only.

I ignored it and just played the music. And the 'Play' arrow is at top of screen.

Got my OTG from ebay for a few quid.

Pen drive is obviously being powered by the Nexus so what the battery drain is I will soon discover.

Like this post
Batch

Likes # 0

muddypaws, I'm no expert, but the way I look at rooting is this:

With a non-rooted device (as supplied), Android runs in a protected mode which shields the operating system / programs (apps), but restricts the ability for programs to take full advantage.

Once rooted it is possible for programs to gain access to functionality that is otherwise restricted. This has its advantages, but may also mean that the device is (more) open to instabilities and malware.

From what I've read, rooting a device is not difficult, although I would be surprised if Nexus Media Importer (which is what I think you are referring to) had the built in capability to root a device. And my understanding is that Nexus Media Importer does not require rooting anyhow (although most if not all other similar apps do).

Also I thought Nexus Media Importer costs £1.88 - you mentioned what you have as being free, so maybe it isn't Nexus Media Importer that you have?

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

Batch It is the Nexus Media Importer that I have. My mistake it probably was/is 1.88.

I went a bit mad to start with and grabbed several free and cheap ones and forgot which is which.

The 'root' I referred was the music folder root..

Thanks for explaining the Nexus routing. Think I will leave well alone.

Like this post
muddypaws

Likes # 0

PS It appears you don't have to double space on this site to get a new line when using the Nexus. Hence the gaps above. So why on the pc?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...