We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

i want to upgrade but where should i start?

savage_smithy

Likes # 0

I have a pc that i built around 2-3 years ago and while it plays games like far cry 3 ok it does go through random moments of really low fps. one second it may be at 30fps and then suddenly it will drop off to 5fps.

so im looking to upgrade it so it can keep up.

the current specs are:

mobo - asrock m3a770de cpu - amd phenom ii x2 555 BE memory - crucial ballistix 1600mhz 2x2gb graphics - 2x gigabyte radeon hd 5770's in crossfire psu - thermaltake evo blue 650w will soon have a 128gb sandisk ssd for the os too

so, since im on a limited budget i will have to upgrade 1 thing at a time, so should i upgrade the cpu/mobo first or the graphics cards? also the old parts will be sold so what should i be asking for them? ( i know they aren't worth much) all in perfect order and have boxes everything else is okay i think, though i may add more RAM

I have just realized that if i upgrade cpu/mobo first i would probably have to get a motherboard capable of crossfire so i guess that would work out more expensive. Still though I don't know what to do.

thanks, smithy Savage_Smithy is online now Report Post View trust for

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronos: when I was researching my son's upgrade, I also read that the performance of the AMD FX Bulldozer series "isn't all that". I went ahead with a machine based on that, though, and I have to say, the PC performs entirely to my son's satisfaction on some pretty demanding games. (The CPU is overclocke from stock 3.6GHz to 4.0GHz, which may help - and may be overclockable even further.) He's using the FX with a GTX560SE.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

I don't disagree in any way with you but the consensus is that Intel is the better CPU for gaming. I must admit I am an Intel man and have never had an AMD chip, but when I researched my last build the i5 2500K was and is the gaming chip to beat.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Chronos: I'd always go for Intel over AMD - it's only ever a question of affordability... :-( I just got a Core 2 Quad machine with a Radeon 6870 (plus Akasa case, premium 500w power supply, 4GB/1TB - only downside is a distinctly average mobo) off eBay for what I consider silly money. I pick it up Wednesday, and am looking forward to playing with it (once I've 'downgraded' it from W7 to XP...:-) )

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...