We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

i want to upgrade but where should i start?

savage_smithy

Likes # 0

I have a pc that i built around 2-3 years ago and while it plays games like far cry 3 ok it does go through random moments of really low fps. one second it may be at 30fps and then suddenly it will drop off to 5fps.

so im looking to upgrade it so it can keep up.

the current specs are:

mobo - asrock m3a770de cpu - amd phenom ii x2 555 BE memory - crucial ballistix 1600mhz 2x2gb graphics - 2x gigabyte radeon hd 5770's in crossfire psu - thermaltake evo blue 650w will soon have a 128gb sandisk ssd for the os too

so, since im on a limited budget i will have to upgrade 1 thing at a time, so should i upgrade the cpu/mobo first or the graphics cards? also the old parts will be sold so what should i be asking for them? ( i know they aren't worth much) all in perfect order and have boxes everything else is okay i think, though i may add more RAM

I have just realized that if i upgrade cpu/mobo first i would probably have to get a motherboard capable of crossfire so i guess that would work out more expensive. Still though I don't know what to do.

thanks, smithy Savage_Smithy is online now Report Post View trust for

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Most modern mobos support crossfire/SLI so I don't that is going to be much of a problem.

I personally believe that 1 good graphics card is better than two anyway.

It would be useful to know what sort of budget you have and you might want to look at a CPU/mobo bundle with I suggest at least an i5 CPU.

RAM and PSU are probably fine.

I'll do a little research and post back with some idea of what your components are worth but do not expect to much.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I know that my son found that on his gaming PC, the CPU became the bottleneck - it couldn't get data to the graphics card as fast as the graphics card could accept the data. So the CPU may be the place to start. He ended up upgrading from a 3-core AMD processor running at around 2.2GHz to a 4-core AMD clocked at 4GHz. (Unfortunately, he upgraded the graphics card at the same time, so I can't tell you with confidence that the new CPU made a huge difference - but everything I've read tells me that there was no point upgrading his graphics card without upgrading the CPU first, else the graphics card would just have sat idle half the time). Check out whether your mobo can support the latest 4-core (or even 6-core or 8-core) CPUs.

Like this post
savage_smithy

Likes # 0

my current motherboard is am3 socket so wont support the new am3+ processors. i have been looking at these: cpu- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-338-AM mobtherboard- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-069-AK&groupid=701&catid=1903&subcat=

i dont rally want to spend much more than that for them as im after a reasonable gamer on a budget

graphics card wise i was looking at the hd7870 or 7950 also i forgot to mention that the cpu is overclocked stable at 3.92GHz

Like this post
savage_smithy

Likes # 0

my current motherboard is am3 socket so wont support the new am3+ processors. i have been looking at these: cpu- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-338-AM mobtherboard- http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-069-AK&groupid=701&catid=1903&subcat=

i dont rally want to spend much more than that for them as im after a reasonable gamer on a budget

graphics card wise i was looking at the hd7870 or 7950 also i forgot to mention that the cpu is overclocked stable at 3.92GHz

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Rough prices for your current components.

Mobo = Asrock M3A770DE £25 - £30

CPU = Amd Phenom ii x2 555 BE £25 - £30

2 x HD5770's £40 - £45 each.

As for your choice of CPU and mobo, I am not a fan of AMD CPU's for gaming but that is my choice. If you are on a budget then go for your selection.

As for your GPU choice have a look here for a comparison.

Like this post
savage_smithy

Likes # 0

which upgrade is more likely to yield the biggest performance boost? cpu/mob or graphics card? the thing is i may not be able to do all 3 at once but i can certainly do the combo OR the graphics card.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I would do the CPU/mobo first as these are your main components and will stand you in good stead for future upgrades,namely the GPU. Your RAM should also be fine on this board.

Like this post
savage_smithy

Likes # 0

thanks for the replies, I'm gonna hopefully be ordering the new cpu and motherboard over the next week.

the total for the 2 is about £170, are there any better alternatives for the same money?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Fx stuff is pretty naff for games, prob wont be noticed in alot of situations but the core i3/i5 stuff is far better performance wise.

if you stretch the budget a tenner or so you can get a low end i5 quad and a B75 motherboard.

But keeping within your £170 budget have a look at:

CPU.

Mobo.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

These two items will be much better than my last suggestion and your choice.

Mobo. Asus P8B75-M LX Intel B75 Socket 1155.

CPU. Intel Core i5 3330.

Total cost just over £183

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft's all or nothing bet on Windows Phone is the best way forward

IDG UK Sites

Google adds better type rendering to its Chrome browser on Windows