We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

scsi drive not being seen

bilko

Likes # 0

I had to replace my eide dvd drive because of failure and as all my sata ports are being used i fitted a pci serial ata controller card. I connected the new dvd drive and a new 500gb wd hd to the card. The hd is being seen in set up (F2) but windows 7 is not showing the drive in my computer so i cannot accesss the drive to formatt it or use it. Set up is showing it as a raid drive? Any ideas? Thanks for looking

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Is it showing in Device manager?

Like this post
bilko

Likes # 0

Yes and it states it is working correctly

Like this post
bilko

Likes # 0

Pc is set for non-raid

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you not right click initialise and format in there?

Like this post
bilko

Likes # 0

No unable to access drive at all even though it is in devices managager

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Set to ACHI in BIOS and retry

Like this post
bilko

Likes # 0

What does ACHI mean and do?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Finger error

AHCI mode

Like this post
bilko

Likes # 0

Tried AHCI mode but pc stalled when booting into windows, tried raid but in end had to set back to non raid. Any ideas?

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"Yes and it (Device Manager) states it is working correctly."

It's reassuring that the PC's BIOS and Device Manager can see the drive. It's almost certainly missing in the "Computer" section because it hasn't yet been assigned a drive letter. Have a look here for instructions on how to partition, set a drive letter, and format your new drive using Windows 7's "Disk Management console".

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad