We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Make HD work faster??

buel

Likes # 0

Hi, I seem to remember reading a few months ago how you can make the HD work faster but may make it slightly unstable? I Googled it and couldn't find the exact one but i did find this:

http://www.softmyhard.com/windows/make-your-sata-hard-disk-work-faster

Am i being stupid here or is it worth doing please?

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hmmm....I see that my HD is NTFS.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

That's what mine has always been set to without any problems.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

NTFS is faster and more efficient than Fat32 (although if using XP a fat32 drive will give a faster shutdown time)

Write caching is enabled by default in Windows

IDE drives are slow if in PIO mode and need to be rest to DMA mode 5 if possible (not applicable to SATA drives, which is one of the reasons IDE HDDs are almost unavailable)

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Is it just me or is anyone else having trouble finding the relevance between the info in the above posts? Each makes sense on it's own, but.....

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Hmmm.....I just thought that was because I have limited intelligence? :0)

So, please can I confirm that there is a way to 'speed up' a NTFS HD?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Works for XP

Run SYSEDIT.EXE from the Run command.

Expand the system.ini file window.

Scroll down almost to the end of the file till you find a line called [386enh].

Press Enter to make one blank line, and in that line type

Irq14=4096

Note: This line IS CASE SENSITIVE!!!

Click on the File menu, then choose Save.

Close SYSEDIT and reboot your computer.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Having enough memory and keeping the pagefile to a minimum helps

Using USB sticks as ready boost has the same effect

Enabling write caching as previously stated.

Making sure the drive is defragged so file location is quicker

see here

Also getting your initial partition size right is supposed to help (seems to work for my XP machine run it in a 10g partition) and pagefile on a separate drive.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Apologies, I have made the schoolboy error of not stating that my laptop is Vista! I am sory for this! :0(

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

The theory is the same for all windows versions. except XP cannot use ready boost.

Like this post
buel

Likes # 0

Thank you.

I typed SYSEDIT.EXE in to Run and got multiple windows up with the message 'C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT. Cannot open this file'?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...