We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Crop photos to remove borders

ponytail

Likes # 0

I have some photos which I have scanned for my wife as she wants to put them in a frame.My son came around last week and changed some photos but I cannot remember how he did it.We want to get rid of all the white borders around the photos.I thought he cliced on edit it was certainly something in the top R/H corner he clicked on.He seemed to drag four lines down to the size of the photo and then cropped off all the white area can someone advise

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Not sure if any of those may do what you are looking for.

Click Here

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Jock1e All I get when I click on the link is this

nvyx2str/20121206/dm:N5851.PCadvisor92121985266407112_0

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

sorry this

s://www.ashampoo.com/en/usd/lpa/christmas?c=xmas12

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Which program are you/did your son use?

Yes it is the 'crop' tool you use. But please make a copy of the photo and work on that so as to preserve the original in case of mistakes.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

ponytail

Not to worry it works ok for me but maybe they were not what you were looking for anyway.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

ponytail

Not to worry it works ok for me but maybe they were not what you were looking for anyway.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Jock1e, your link works for me for Ashampoo (I have said thanks on your thread that gives links to several freebies )

ponytail, say which program you're using so can be more specific on which buttons to press..

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

I have been trying irfanview I chose photo to crop drew the diaginal lines clicked on edit then cut area outside of the selection then edit then paste what do I do then.I tried save as but the photo is still the same something not quite right

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I find Picassa very easy to use for cropping. When you have the program installed and running, select the photo and then use the Crop option. Lots of ways of doing it, so give it a try .

http://www.filehippo.com/download_picasa/

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This is for Irfanview 4

Edit | create custom crop selection | (Actual ratio from image) | use mouse cursor to drag the selection border lines (double headed arrow on lines) up or down, and left or right to cover the area you want to keep inside your 'box' | Edit menu, 'Crop Selection' (or hold down Crtl and press Y)

now go to, File | Save As and Save the result as (name of file here)cropped.jpg (jpg - or whatever file extension you want)

Now you can open your newly saved cropped picture in whatever program you want and do whatever you want with it :)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?