We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Need help on a PC Newbuild

ed_daniels

Likes # 0

I need help on some specifications for a new PC I am hoping to get. Ive been told that building it myself will save a heap of cash and I know how to, but I need help choosing the right components. I will be using this computer for daily tasks and some light gaming, however my budget only extends to around £300.

So far I have looked far and wide on the internet for 'The best deals' but I have found there is just too much variety. I've found some cheap deals on Ebay, is it just me or do they seem too good value?

I think the components I want to get are:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASRock-Z77-Motherboard-Instant-Charger/dp/B007RS70YW

ASRock Motherboard £78.22

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9-1600MHz-Vengeance- Memory/dp/B004CRSM4I/ref=pdcpcomputers_1

Corsair 8GB Ram £35

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-I5-3570-Processor-3-40GHZ-Socket/dp/B0083U94D8/ref=sr113?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1356801862&sr=1-13

Intel I5 3570 £162

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Midi-Tower-ATX-Micro-ATX-USB-2-0-Chassis-PC-Case-500W-Power-Supply-Unit-Black-/321014457064?pt=UKComputingDesktopComponents_RL&hash=item4abdf3e2e8

Case with PSU £21

I have already got a harddrive but I might get an additional one

As this is all new to me I've just got a few questions about this planned build; Will all these work happily together? Is this a good price for a low-end gaming pc? Are there any recommendations about this build?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 1

A couple of observations...

First is, it seems a shame to put a very expensive i5 processor into a cheap and nasty case/PSU combination. It's always worth spending money on a decent PSU - I'd expect to spend on a PSU alone at least what you've spent on a case/PSU. It'll almost certainly work, but it's less than ideal.

Kinda similar observation on the motherboard. You've chosen a nice one - seems a shame to skimp on the case/PSU.

Much depends on what you mean by 'light gaming'. Today's games are pretty graphics intensive, and typically need a discreet graphics card to play them satisfactorily, even at fairly modest settings.

Personally, I'd perhaps spend less on the processor, more on the case/PSU, perhaps save a little on the memory and see if you can add a graphics crad.

I'm assuming that you already have screen, keyboard, mouse, operating system ready to load etc.?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ive been told that building it myself will save a heap of cash

Not true nowadays it can be cheaper to get one from the likes of Chillblast they allow you to pick and choose a certain amount.

DO NOT scrimp on the PSU, a cheap PSU blowing can take the motherboard and HDDs with it.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

If you want to do a self build which is not always the cheapest option a decent PSU is essential or you will be replacing it a few months down the line anyway plus any thing else it,s damaged. False economy cheap PSU.

Like this post
ed_daniels

Likes # 0

Thanks for these suggestions, I am considering (when I've got the funds) a Asus nVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, will this system support it?

You suggest a better case and PSU, any suggestions on this?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 release date, price, specs, new features: world's thinnest tablet also gets Touch ID

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Will Photoshop work with Yosemite? And will Illustrator, After Effects, Premiere Pro or the other A?......

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...