We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Laptop display - would suit fabric designer

Diemmess
Resolved

Likes # 0

A friend of a friend of family, has an Advent laptop which display shows only vertical lines of varying colours which intensify and turn blueblack after a minute or two.

He would like to know the probable cost of any parts to repair it and is at its last chance stage at present.

I connected my own monitor with a VGA lead and the scene is transformed; perfectly normal and now behaving as it should.

So clearly the fault is strictly with the last stage, the screen. Guessing and using long words.... this seems to be some lack of synchronisation in the laptop's display? What sort of job would it be to get it working again?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Hard to say... From your description, it could be as trivial as a faulty connection between the laptop and its display - perhaps as simple as reseating a connector - or it could be a faulty display. Given that a PC repair place will probably have a minimum charge of somewhere north of £30, I'd say you were looking at anywhere between that to re-fit the connector and £200 to replace the display if that turns out to be the problem. There's only one way to be really sure, and that's to get it checked out.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

1. Usually bad connection between motherboard and screen cable broken or loose in connectors.

2. possibly bad graphics driver - try in safemode (or does this happen as soon as machine turned on not just when windows booted

3. graphics chip faulty - try connecting to external monitor /TV if still same on external monitor then its looking bad.

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

It sounds as if the screen has had pressure applied to it.

About £100 to have one fitted professionally depending on model. Around £70 to get a replacement.

http://www.laptopscreenonline.com/advent-7105pa-screen-16351-p.asp

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It sounds like its a LED screen, newish Laptop. Is it still covered by Warranty? it will not be cheap to replace it

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Re-cap

Advent 7104 Laptop Model number EAA-88 - Display shows only fine multicoloured vertical lines which darken after a minute or so as the Laptop warms up.

When connected to an external monitor all is OK normal.

If as Fruit Bat /\0/\ and Ian in Northampton suggest, this is a poor connection (broken or loose) I need to get inside.

Can someone offer a link which says which screws to remove, and equally important which to leave untouched? No intention of replacing major parts, just trying to find anything obvious.

I've searched far and wide with memories of seeing something helpful somewhere but of course can't find it now!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

new cable

laptop stripping maybe some help there

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Now you know the chip ad motherboard are ok

Its cable or screen itself (inverter or back-lights would give blank screen)

New screen £60 -£80 more approx £100-120 to get repaired. I've done a few (not Advent) and they are all pretty similar hardest part seems to be getting the bezel off an on :0)

Like this post
¿ unsure ¿

Likes # 0

As mentioned yesterday

Yesterday at 6:21PM

**It sounds as if the screen has had pressure applied to it. About £100 to have one fitted professionally depending on model. Around £70 to get a replacement. http://www.laptopscreenonline.com/advent-7105pa-screen-16351-p.asp **

The same page gives videos on how to replace screen.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Thanks to all, a first class brain restorer.

That video though for the Advent Roma and not the model 7104 was enough to realise that I should stop now before I break my first rule of dissembling anything--------- Beware the thing that goes doy-ing!

On hearsay, the owner has this Laptop because that's what people have, in this case now 5 years ago.

Oddly he only needs to find a half decent monitor somewhere and he has - - a Desktop.

He is ready to bin it. I suggested removing the HD and RAM first though the RAM is probably too old to use as additional to current computers and now await his Yea or Nay.

Like this post  
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Plug it into the TV if he has one with the right connection and use that.

I have one that has the same problem needs a new screen i believe but works ok connected to a TV/

Now someone suggested to remove the screen completely and just use it that way.

Sounds like a good idea but would it work with the screen removed.

Not that I am going to do that but it could come in handy for future reference.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 review: Great if you like big, expensive phones

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015