We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Compressing film onto DVD

johnincrete

Likes # 0

I tried to create a DVD through Serif's MoviePLus X5 but it would not fit. I trimmed some off but still it would not fit.

What techniques do the professionals use that allows them to put hours of film on one DVD?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

DVDShrink is free

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

..that posted a bit quick, as said DVDShrink is free and works okay for me. Download from any - dvdshrink.org, filehippo, softpedia, etc etc

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

I use DVDShrink all the time - it's great.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Ah, wait - I wonder if we're answering the right question... DVDShrink works well for, for example, making a backup copy of a commercial DVD. johnincrete: when you say you "tried to create a DVD" - what do you mean? Have you created your own movie, exported it as e.g. an .avi file, and now you're trying to create a DVD from the resulting .avi file? I think DVDShrink may still help, but what you may need to do, when you're exporting your final movie to DVD, is to export it to your hard drive. Then, use DVDShrink to burn the movie to a DVD.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Also Freemake will convert multi files to DVD format, it also burns the finished result.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

File, Export Movie..., DVD, Click Yes to go to the Menu Designer, make alterations.

Click options, Exit Menu Designer, click Yes to Apply changes.

In the Export Settings, Leave them as they are, Click Next> Button, Under Size, to the right of the Movie Quality: (Blue Line) is a Box with Fit to Disc to the right of it, Move your Mouse pointer over that Box and Right Mouse click in it, A Tick will be added in the Box.

You will notice that the Space Required: will turn Green and Movie Quality: will be about 33% (Roughly).

Instead of Burning Directly to a DVD, Under Target select Disc Image, Click Finish, Give it a Name, Click Save.

In the next step Write Disc Image, Give it a Name then click the Write Button, Click Yes button on warning popup, Then leave it to do its thing, when finished, pop in a DVD-R into your DVD Re-Writer, from the main program Click Tools, Write Disc from Image.., find and select the iso file you just made (ie. Video.iso), click Open, when it's ready click the Write button.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...