We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting my HD TV to the internet via HDMI

Imintheshedagain

Likes # 0

Hi. I'm trying to connect my TV to the internet to watch iplayer etc. I have been given a Netricity 500m kit that will plug in to my router at one end but will not plug in to my Phillips HD TV! Can I use an adaptor to connect the ethernet plug with the HDMI socket on the TV? If so, will I get sound? Apologies if these are dumb questions, but I am just getting my head around this subject! Thanks

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

If your TV does not have a Ethernet connector then no you cannot connect to the internet. You don't say what make/model of TV you have but I suspect it is not a 'Smart'TV.

Of course I may well be wrong as I have no real knowledge but I would have thought that a Ethernet connection was essential. The HDMI is an audio/visual connection.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Chronos the 2nd is correct that you need an Ethernet connector somewhere in the TV system. My TV does not have one but I have a Freesat box that does and I connect to iPlayer that way. I would imagine that some Freeview boxes also have Ethernet connectors.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

chub_tor is right - you can get Freeview boxes with an Ethernet port, and this would allow you to connect your TV to the internet. Similarly, you can get DVD players or PVRs with an Ethernet port.

As chronos has said, HDMI and Ethernet are two totally different things, so there's absolutely no way forward there.

Like this post
Imintheshedagain

Likes # 0

Thanks folks, much appreciated. Neither the TV or the set top box have the right port. Looks like we are in the market for a new DVD player anyway, so I'll look to get one with an ethernet connection. Cheers.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I think a lot more 'homework' is needed before you purchase any new equipment expecting it to work with your existing TV to watch iPlayer etc.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

lotvic: what do you see as the potential issues? Simplistically, it should be possible to buy a modern DVD player with an Ethernet port. I was thinking of getting this although it would have duplicated the functionality I already have on my TV (but I decided I didn't really care about playing 3D DVDs, so bought something at half the price). The Samsung DVD player (I'm sure other brands can offer the same) gives imintheshedagain the functionality he's looking for (iPlayer, ITV Player, YouTube etc.). If anything, I'd suggest the 'homework' lies in choosing the DVD player brand that offers the best online portal/smart capabilities. Some say that's Sony, some Panasonic - I'm happy with the Samsung version.

But perhaps I'm missing something in your point?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...