We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Installing new LAN card: problems?

Salamander7

Likes # 0

I have bought a new LAN card for my Windows XP network. I will uninstall the old card via software and then physically. I will then install new device. Should the network then run as though nothing has changed or will I lose all my network settings? In other words will I have to reconfigure my router etc? my new card is Gigabit card replacing 100 bit card which currently works with no problems.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

If the old one works with no probs, why change it? If you do replace it, you may have to run the installation disc, or XP may load a driver for it. Once that is done, it should connect to your router with no further tweaks.

Like this post
Salamander7

Likes # 0

I appreciate the reply.

I am replacing the old card because in the near future I will be getting fibre optic broadband which will include a new router which will be capable of faster LAN speeds than 100mbits although the exact speed will depend on what deal I eventually choose. I thought I would get the LAN card installed and out of the way so to speak so it is one variable I can forget when I get the new broadband package.

Anyway, by what you say it is simply a questing of swapping the two cards and installing drivers for the new one, I dont need to worry about my network settings.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Correct. Of course, the Infinity router will need setting up when you get it, but that's simple.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...