We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive not showing in my computer

ponytail

Likes # 0

There is a DVD writer installed in my new laptop I also have external writer which I used with my old desktop when it's writer packed up.The installed writer is letter E and the external writer should be letter F but when I go into my computer it only shows drive E why would it not show drive F

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Maybe you need to install the external one by means of a disc (manufacturer supplied) or try to find driver online?

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

Does it show when you put a disc in it?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

I had similar problems with a desktop and was given the tip to completely remove the mains power supply for about 2 minutes, when you restore the mains power the comp reloads all drivers, worth a try anyway.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi marvin42 just inserted a disc into the external writer and still nothing shows up.Will try and find the software for it

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

How is the external writer being connected? Does it have its own power supply?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

If its a USB device check it has enough power to it (two cables?)

Unplug and plug back in

Try another USB port

Does it work on another machine?

Remove all USB devices

Download and run USB device View

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Guys thanks for the replies some answers to some of your questions,It has it's own power supply,It workedok when I connected it to my previous desktop,it is a USB device,

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Hi Guys thanks for the info here are someanswers to your questions. It has its own power supply,it worked ok when it was connected to my previous desktop,It is a USB device and when you say two cables what does that mean,there are no other USB devices connected at present I have just found the software for it and am going to install it will let you know result

Like this post
ponytail

Likes # 0

Have just installed the software and it is now showing up in my computer

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

In Device Manager, Disable the old DVD drive

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do