We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Black vertical bar on RHS of screen

bumpkin

Likes # 0

Not the easiest thing to explain but will try. Not all of the time but quite frequently I get a vertical black or blank area appearing on the screen RH side. This can be 5mm or up to 60mm which then pushes the display off the left hand side of the screen so I can no longer access the start button or start any programs. A cold boot normally fixes it but it should not be happening in the first place. It is a nuisance rather than big problem but if anyone can help please do.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Are you using W/8.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

That was unbelievably quick, I should have said XP

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I was thinking about the black bar you get on W/8 on the right hand side.

Not got a clue about the one on XP though.Looks like a common enough fault.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e, maybe someone has some ideas.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Have a look through this.Center screen

scroll down to Figure 4: Desktop tab - XP.

Check that the position is set to center or if already at center set it to stretch.

Not sure if that will help or not but worth a try.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Suspect the graphics card/chip is on its way out.

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks Jock1e I appreciate and understand your suggestions but that is not it. It is a weird thing that only happens now and then but becoming more frequent

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

If a normal monitor there should be some buttons on it for aligning your screen properly if a laptop i know not.

Lots of folk with the same problem when you google it.

Found this if it is a Laptop.

It was, indeed, my vga cable from m/b to screen. Got a new one and connected it. Problem gone ... and still gone after 3 days.

Found it on here. on here

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link Jock1e, seems I am not alone. Using an HP Compaq and the monitor is fairly new Bush flat screen TV. I can leave the TV on for hours on end with no problems so I don't think it is monitor related. I can switch the signal source to PC and find the black bar is back. The PC display is not squashed smaller but moved to the left by the width of the bar so I can't see the start button.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite