We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7-Zip uninstall renders Comp. unusable XP

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

My brother uninstalled 7-Zip (he doesn't recall actually installing it) immediately his computer stopped opening any shortcuts or files - folders open but the contents don't. Is there a fix for this?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Can he get to the advanced boot options and try 'Last Known Good Configuration'? Usually by tapping the F8 key during booting. Info here.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@rdave

Thanks but no he can't.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@rdave

Bookmarked your link for future use!

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@rdave

Spoke to brother, booting with F8 just goes into a loop and none of the options work.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Last resort is running Paragon backup restore, if that fails it'll be a complete re-installation of the OS.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

SillBill , going by my experience of Paragon, it will work. Once done so I would ask him to check the defaults programs. I cant remember with XP but you should be able to check the default files associations somewhere in control panel or in the start list. Ask him to run Malwarebytes and Superantispyware. Free versions of both if not one owned already.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@rdave

Thanks again.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Paragon Backup restored the system. Thanks to all who contributed.

Like this post  
SillBill

Likes # 0

Since I can't find any way to mark this as resolved, could the little Leprechaun lurking in PCA Towers do it for me?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Guess I found it, the Leprechaun can go back to guarding his gold!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia