We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

7-Zip uninstall renders Comp. unusable XP

SillBill
Resolved

Likes # 0

My brother uninstalled 7-Zip (he doesn't recall actually installing it) immediately his computer stopped opening any shortcuts or files - folders open but the contents don't. Is there a fix for this?

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

bumpkin,

The OS is XP I will have to phone Canada to find out the Machine.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

What are the ext initials at the end of the files? if 7zip is needed to open the files and it isn't there anymore, then which program does he expect the files to open in?

As far as I am aware, you cannot 'accidentally' install 7zip without knowing. How did he uninstall it? was it through 'Add Remove Programs' on Control Panel?

Does his Op sys (xp, W7?) give any error messages or does it say it is looking for a program to open the file(s)?

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

The OS is XP as it says in the title.

Right click on a file for whom you know what program used to open it and select 'Open With' and from the list choose that program or if it is not shown click on Browse and find the program exe file. It seems likely that all your file associations have been changed.

If this works for the file it will conform and you will need to change them all.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I see it now in the title, for me half the page and all the reply postings were missing so I thought it was a new post without a title..... It was only when I posted my response that it showed 2 pages and responses. Even so Dr yes posts are not displaying on page 1.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ lotvic & bremner

I will have to phone Canada all I really know is that he cannot open ANYTHING using left or right click how he got malwarebytes to run I also don't know He did try to run Kaspersky Rescue disc but it crashed with a "Fatal Error"

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

Bremner, where does it say XP in the title?

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

OK sorry

Like this post
bumpkin

Likes # 0

I was reading the posting and overlooked the title properly.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

Brother is not home right now, typical, I'll get him to read this thread when I can contact him. Thanks for the help so far.

Like this post
SillBill

Likes # 0

@ lotvic & bremner

I'll ask him to join the site (via his laptop), that way he can take part in the discussion.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...