We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Acronis 2013 problems maybe

compumac

Likes # 0

I have been using Acronis True Image for some considerable time and it has saved my bacon on several occasions. Currently I am using the 2010 version.

My daughter is about to purchase a new laptop with Windows 8 and I had initially suggested that the first thing to do would be to install Acronis and make a backup image following up with regular image backups. However I have been looking a number of reviews of Acronis True Image 2013 and am more than a little perturbed at the very negative reports, albeit that I recognise that more people would complain than would praise a product.

What are the thoughts here?

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

I've had every version of ATI since version 9 and 2013 is definitely the best of the lot. I have used it on both Windows 7 and Windows 8 without any problem whatsoever.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Pine Man. Thanks for that, I have seen favourable reports but have been a liitle put off by the sheer number of negative comments.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Anyone else wish to comment?

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Bought version 10 when my OS was 2000 and was about to change to XP.

Have no desire to change Acronis until this PC needs replacement. Then it will be W7 and all the loose ends that will require attention.

Can you offer a link to the criticism of Acronis 2013 ?

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

Stopped using it after 2009 as I felt each upgrade offered very little except to add yet more necessary components. Plus in recent years I have not felt the need to clone my C drive as it only contains my OS and programs. I find it much better to clean install. The benefit of an SSD drive.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I use Version 9 I do not load it but just create and restore Images after booting with the CD or Rescue CD.If you do only that you have no need to upgrade

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Acronis are now selling the Plus package for 2013 which has a 'universal' restore function allowing you to restore to ANY computer. It costs £11.95.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

...re the above it is a half price offer.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Diemmess I started with comments on the Amazon website whilst looking at their offers for Acronis 2013 and then just searched mainly for comments from USERS as opposed to reviews. As I said "albeit that I recognise that more people would complain than would praise a product".

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Quote from PC Mag review. , "For me, the main problem with TrueImage 2013 is that it includes features that I'm convinced are potentially dangerous to be included in consumer-level software, and the program doesn't even hint that these features have built-in dangers. I'm referring to Acronis Secure Zone and the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager, both of which make non-standard changes to the deepest and most crucial parts of your disk structure. If something goes wrong with those parts of your disk, and Acronis's own software isn't available to fix it, or if it fails to fix it, then anyone who isn't an expert in disk structure is going to be in deep trouble, because other third-party disk tools aren't designed to deal with the non-standard modifications made by Acronis."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?