We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

This site on an iPad

bremner

Likes # 0

4-8 weeks ago a technical change appears to have been made to this site. A consequence is that the site is virtually unusable on an iPad unless Javascript is turned off.

This results in the site being much more usable but with niggles such as being unable to use the world icon for posting links and no preview window.

The biggest downside however is issues with 95% of other websites not working properly meaning having to go into settings and switching back on Javacript.

Can anyone suggest a possible remedy or can the techies at PCA please please sort this out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It's better using Chrome on the iPad but still not great. I find that using Safari that I have difficulty getting some of the links to work first time and double tap which results in a zoom.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Cancel my last post! I've just experienced bigger snags with Chrome and this site using the iPad. I had problems with a page looking as if it had locked up and it took me 3 attempts to get the reply box to correctly open.

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

bremner

You aren't alone, there is no problem browsing this site on an iPad with Safari until one tries to log in, you'll get into a loop of << There is a problem with PCAdvisor ,please refresh the page >> ,no matter what you do ,you're just back to square 1.

I'd to use Chrome if I wanted to reply a thread on an iPad like just now, strange thing is I used to log in this site with Safari in mobile mode on an iPad but not anymore.

Btw I'd no problem logging in this site thru' Safari on an iPhone 4S thou'.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I have tried three browsers other than Safari and the issue is with all. Even moving to another Tab is painfully slow. I am disappointed that this has gone on so long without being resolved.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Being a newbie to this I did notice an up date to i06 but dated June so probably an old one not sure if that would make a difference if used or not.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Jock1e

I have been using iOS6 since its launch. The problem is with this site and something they did 4-8 weeks ago when solving another problem.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that it is related to the adverts using javascript. It slows the whole site down and you have to wait before the page is fully loaded before you can do anything. How quick this is depends slightly on your broadband connection/wifi. I find that I try to click too soon and this can create further problems.

I appreciate that this site depends on ads but do wonder if they have become too flashy. The tendency must be to show an advertiser an eye-catching advert but it can be like PowerPoint where the over use of animations ruins the messages.

I'm also surprised that PCA permits the GQ Agent Provocateur ad probably through Google ad links.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

retep888™ - I don't get any log in problems.

Like this post
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I am afraid PCAdvisor forum website has always been troublesome, PCAdvisor was rubbish on my ipad and Nexus 7 and it is virtually unusable on my iphone.

This is definitely ad related as it is the only forum site I have trouble with and the only site that goes overboard with ads on forum pages.

Simpler not to use the site on a tablet or phone.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I find that the mobile site is fine on Safari on the iphone 5. It was not so good on the android browser.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer