We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Applian has altered all my music files

johnincrete
Resolved

Likes # 0

To watch a couple of .FLV files, I downloaded the latest version of the player which turns out to be Applian. Very nice. But now I find that all music files have been altered so that the type is Applian Media File with .wav or .mp3 in brackets. I have deleted Applian but the type remains. Is there a way I can remove Applian from the type to leave it as .wav or .mp3 as it was before.
There are literally 100's of files. When I converted some .wav to .mp3 using Switch, the same Applian type appeared even though the program has been deleted. So presumably Applian has changed something basic.

Like this post
RussB78

Likes # 0

Open a folder of songs and right click on a song choose properties, you will see what the song opens with and have the oppertunity to change it, just use the browse button and make your choice of whatever program you wish to use.

This choice will effect all your songs. you can also do the same thing for Films Oor Videos if you need to.

Best Regards

Russell

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

As RussB78 has stated it appears that the file associations have been changed and need to be put back as before. OS?

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

The songs already open with Windows Media PLayer which is OK. It is the text in the file type that I want to change. Thus we have a typical entry in Explorer:

Fiste there is an icon that looks like the right pointing arrow in WMP but it is enclosed in what looks like earphones. Then we have the song title that hasn't changed. Then in "type" we have "Applian Media File (.mp3) The rest of the deatils are not changed.

What I want to do is get rid of the "Applian Media File" and leave just the mp3 as it used to be

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The file association should change it back. Right click on any of the applian medial file then choose open with and then choose default program and then select the music player that you want.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Woolwell When I select open with, I don't get a default option - it just opens it.

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Woolwell When I select open with, I don't get a default option - it just opens it.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Are you using XP?

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Yes I'm XP sp3.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

My initial instructions were for W7. You need to change your file association. Read this at the bottom of the page.

Like this post  
johnincrete

Likes # 0

I'm not sure what I did because the description in the help file and what was displayed did not match. However, I have got rid of the applian bit.

Thanks Woolwell

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback