We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connections at rear if monitor

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Although my Viewsonic monitor still has a perfect picture, I fear it is about to bite the dust as pressing the on/off button only results in a flickering button!! So far, by constantly pressing in and out it eventually comes to life, but it's obviously dying. Went to Curry's today to investigate a replacement, but discovered that the connections on the rear of all the monitors in the store, differed from my Viewsonic. I have a mains cable in, then a DVI and another similar to the DVI marked DSUB. However the ones in Curry's only had one connector at the back, which I assume was a DVI. Can anyone tell me if the one connector type would work on my desktop,or do I need to track down a two connector model as at present?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

As BRYNIT says "you will only need to connect the monitor from one of the connections to your computers video card for it to work" so what you need to look at is the DVI connector on your video card on the back of your pc and to connect with one cable from that.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

That's what I've been saying or does nobody read my replies? The thing is the output from the PC seems to be, by what thumbscrew said, was a DVI-D (analogue only) or D-sub (VGA) analogue only.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Hello and thanks BRYNIT and yes looking at the diagram in my manual it's unequivocal that both wires are meant to be plugged in together....computers eh! So it seems that any monitor I get will be able to be connected...only one way to find out! Many thanks again everyone.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

DVI-D is digital only, apologies, DVD-I is both digital and analogue. Check the sockets at the back of your machine before you buy a monitor, then buy a monitor that you know you will be able to connect to.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Will do and once again thanks for spending most of the night helping a complete stranger....much appreciated amigo.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...