We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connections at rear if monitor

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Although my Viewsonic monitor still has a perfect picture, I fear it is about to bite the dust as pressing the on/off button only results in a flickering button!! So far, by constantly pressing in and out it eventually comes to life, but it's obviously dying. Went to Curry's today to investigate a replacement, but discovered that the connections on the rear of all the monitors in the store, differed from my Viewsonic. I have a mains cable in, then a DVI and another similar to the DVI marked DSUB. However the ones in Curry's only had one connector at the back, which I assume was a DVI. Can anyone tell me if the one connector type would work on my desktop,or do I need to track down a two connector model as at present?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Sorry I should have refreshed page before my last post - I didn't see your response where you have answered the question.

Ian in Northampton will no doubt be posting soon now he knows the setup.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forget the old monitor. Find out what video sockets you have on your PC. You'll be limited by these sockets to what monitor you can buy unless you upgrade to a cheap video card that supports HDMI. Lots of info here where you can compare the sockets available on your machine, google images.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Hello rdave and thanks.....bit confused re "Video sockets on my computer". Couldn't I just use the model I've got now as an example...ergo one that has the same connections, DSUB and DVI-D?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I don't know what is going on with Photobucket but they don't like IE10.

Hope this will kink to help, http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa180/rdave_2007/vidout1ac.png

Note the DVI Video at the bottom is the DVI-I socket.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes but you used two cables needlessly. It's either one or the other that works. You'll be limited with the amount of monitors available. Try the DVD-D cable only and if that doesn't work, try the other one.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ok rdave, just unplugged the D-SUB and there's a picture!! I'm now more confused than ever because the installation guide, both the book and the cd, shows the mains lead and both of the aforementioned plugs connected into the monitor.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ok. What you are going to need is a new monitor. You will still get monitors with the blue d-sub connection, which there used to be some variations, click here, as for the DVI-D I doubt if you can get a monitor for it, click here, but those are the connections to wach out for when going for a new monitor. If you want to extend the range of possible monitors then this cheap graphics card will enable the extra range, for example only, will be cheaper ones around.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

If I ever needed proof or confirmation about my love/hate relationship with computers, this is it....even a simple thing like a new monitor is loaded with problems and confusion. Thanks very much rdave Ian and lotvic, for your help and continued patience.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

thumbscrew, I've just been playing with a cheap Android 7" tablet that Santa brought for the children. New technology for me but strangely I could manage to work the machines quite reasonably. Even uninstalling an app! Sill a long way to go. As for Monitors and input sockets they're going the same way. An HDMI cable carries the audio as well as the video.

Good luck with your search, I've always preferred AOC monitors myself but not the basic models. About middle range are good quality in my humble opinion.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

thumbscrew I can see the confusion after looking at a Viewsonic instruction manual. The picture indicating that the D-Sub and DVI can be connected to the computer, what I didn't find in the instructions was that one or the other should be used and not both. Sometime having a Monitor connected via both cables to the same computers video card can cause problems.

The reason the Monitor had a D-Sub and DVI connections was because older video cards only had a D-Sub connection, newer cards had both or just a DVI connections. Any monitor you buy today will have DVI + HDMI, D-Sub + HDMI or all three connections you will only need to connect the monitor from one of the connections to your computers video card for it to work.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia