We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buying laptop from US

Yorkshire-git

Likes # 0

Can anybody advise if there are any disadvantages to buying a laptop from the US, except for the guarantee and power cable (which I could probably buy from EBay) if I model match to products available in the UK?

I am a frequent business traveller to the US and am keen to see if I can take advantage of the cheaper prices over there.

Thanks.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No advantage as you should be paying import tax when you bring it back into this country.

Keyboard layout an language settings will be English US, English UK will not be included.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As you have already pointed out, the warranty might be a problem, unless it as an 'international' accepted warranty. The software loaded on the laptop might also be different compared to that supplied to the UK market.Product telephone help support would also incur further charges.

Bringing the laptop into the UK whether by hand or postal methods would incur UK taxes, plus extra for handling charges if postal services are used.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Tax and duty on goods brought to the UK from outside the European Union Duty and tax free allowances

"When you travel to the UK from outside the European Union (EU), you can bring in a certain amount of duty/tax free goods for your own use - known as an 'allowance'. If you go over this allowance you may have to pay duty and/or tax. Some goods are banned completely, or restricted, such as certain foods."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Game of Thrones VFX work wins Emmy for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...